tenement house, residential building - Zabytek.pl
Opole, Ks. Konstantego Damrota 10A
woj. opolskie, pow. Opole, gm. Opole
History of the structure
The building was erected around 1920 as the seat of the Cement Head Office belonging to the Upper Silesian Lime and Cement Works (Kalk- und Zement Zentrale). Between 1922 and 1925, Tomasz Myrtek was commissioned by the Head Office of the Upper Silesian Lime and Cement Works to create two relief plaques depicting stylized figures of workers with working tools.
The building was not destroyed during World War II. After the war ended, it became the property of the State Treasury. Beginning in 1946, the building was owned by the Bureau of Cement, Lime and Gypsum Industry Projects and served as a service and residential building. The building has been unused for several years - it is currently up for sale.
Description of the structure
The building is located in the downtown of Opole, in its central part, outside the perimeter of the medieval urban layout. It is located within a compact development of the southern frontage of Damrota Street, a short distance from Daszyńskiego Square, south of the Market Square and north-east of the railway station.
The building was constructed on a rectangular floor plan, elongated along the east-west axis. It is a compact brick building with a small annex adjoining it from the east and forming the letter “L”. The building has a basement, three-storeys with a partially usable attic, covered with a three-span roof with dormers and a dormer window with a triangular gable located on the axis of the main front elevation. The northern elevation, 13-axial, articulated with a separate plinth zone, a grooved string course at the level of the second storey and an under-window cornice of the third storey. The body of the building is distinguished by an untransformed - original main entrance, preceded by a stone and concrete staircase with a balustrade. The preserved portal forms a three-axial composition with doorways in the first and third axis, separated by a rectangular vertical niche containing the work by Thomas Myrtek. It is a figurative relief carved in limestone depicting a miner with a pickaxe and shovel and a silhouette of a cement plant at his feet. Above, there is a second, horizontal plaque with the figure of a lying miner, supporting the symbolic representation of the mining conveyor belt with his hand; on his left side there are flames. The main elevation has rectangular window and door openings, which were repositioned in the extreme axes of the elevation. The rear elevation is 14-axis, the window openings are mostly grated.
Inside, the old door joinery and the original armoured door at the basement level have been partially preserved. Also noteworthy are the ribbed vault in the second floor corridor and the flat ceiling with beams supported by corbels decorated with floral ornaments above the staircase.
Visitor access: not used, available by arrangement with the building administrator
Author: Joanna Banik, Katarzyna Latocha, Regional Branch of the National Institute of Cultural Heritage in Opole, 19.07.2018
- Borkowski M., Opole przełomu wieków XIX/XX, Łódź 2015.
- Hamada A., Architektura Opola wpisana w dzieje miasta, Opole 2008.
- Nowak L., Tomasz Myrtek – Thomas Myrtek [in:] “Opolski Informator Konserwatorski”, Opole 1991.
- Studium historyczno-urbanistyczne miasta Opola, Katalog zabytków – Opole Wschód, PKZ Wrocław 1990 [in:] resources of the Voivodeship Heritage Protection Office in Opole.
- Karta ewidencyjna zabytków architektury i budownictwa: budynek banku, ul. Damrota 10 w Opolu, compiled by W. Żurakowski, 1993 [in:] resources of the Voivodeship Heritage Protection Office in Opole.
Category: tenement house
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_16_BK.31593, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_16_BK.24143