House, former Icehouse, PTTK Tourist House, currently a restaurant, Opole
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

House, former Icehouse, PTTK Tourist House, currently a restaurant

Opole

photo

A unique example of Lusatian architecture located in the city centre, picturesquely situated in the most recognisable area of Opole.

History

The Icehouse was built in 1909 as the seat of the Ice Skating Association (Eislaufverein) founded in Opole in 1908. The construction of the house on that site was initiated by photographer Max Glauer from Opole. In addition to the seat of the association, the building housed a café, and a boat dock was built in front of the house. In the 1930s, an ice rink was created on the Castle Pond through the efforts of the Ice Skating Association; the ice rink was used as a venue for the German Figure Skating Championship in 1934. After the war, the house became the property of PTTK and served as a youth hostel for many years. It was completely flooded by the flood in 1997; after renovation, it has housed a restaurant.

Description

The building is situated by the Castle Pond (Barlicki's pond), on the Pasieka island, in the vicinity of the Amphitheatre and the Piast Tower. It was built in a style reminiscent of folk Lusatian architecture as a half-timbered structure, using wooden logs, on a concrete foundation. The building features a floor plan in the shape of an elongated rectangle with avant-corps on the long sides and a low annex to the north; it consists of one storey and a usable attic. It is covered with a tall roof clad with roof tiles, having the shape of a hip roof with extensive mansards over the central part of the building and a gable roof over the avant-corps. Wooden components are covered with decorative carving and profiled.

Currently, the longer west façade facing the pond serves as the front of the building. It is multi-axial, with doors installed in the places formerly occupied by windows. A large part of the magnificent gable above the avant-corps is occupied by a tripartite porte-fenêtre, preceded by a wooden balustrade. Formerly, in this part there was an open niche for the orchestra; the niche had the shape of a small concert shell in order to obtain the appropriate acoustics. At present, the room created after the glazing of the niche is used as an office, but the original shape of the room has been preserved to this day. The entrance to the eastern façade is located on the central axis and is covered with a roof supported by decorated pillars. The interiors are plastered and topped with a beamed ceiling. The stairs and floors are wooden; the furnishings and décor are of modern origin.

The building is open to the public from the outside; viewing of the interior is possible during the opening hours of the restaurant.

compiled by Ewa Kalbarczyk-Klak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 24-07-2014.

Bibliography

  • Record sheet of the structure in the Archives of the Voivodeship Monuments Protection Office in Opole, prepared by P. Godlewski in 1987.
  • Article in the local press: "Opole jakiego nie znacie", Gazeta Wyborcza, Opole edition dated 19.01.201,
  • Zajączkowska U., "Domek lodowy i synagoga w 1914 roku", Nowa Trybuna Opolska dated 21.05.2002

General information

  • Type: residential building
  • Chronology: pocz. XX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Ks. N. Barlickiego 2A, Opole
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district Opole, commune Opole
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area