Catholic Church of St Lawrence, Olszyna
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Catholic Church of St Lawrence

Olszyna

photo

The Church of St Lawrence in Olszyna, having a wooden post-and-beam structure, is an interesting example of rural ecclesiastical architecture of Greater Poland.

History

A parish-priest in Olszyna was mentioned by written records for the first time in 1413. The present church of St Lawrence was erected in the years 1820-1821.

Description

The village of Olszyna is located 4 km to the south-west of Ostrzeszów. The church is oriented to the east. It has a post-and-beam structure with brick infill. The walls are covered with plaster. It has one nave (with no aisles) and a lower chancel, terminating in a semi-hexagon and adjoined by a brick sacristy having a mono-pitched roof with wood shingles. The roof over the nave, also covered with wood shingles, is surmounted by a steeple with a lantern crowned with an onion-shaped cupola. On the west side, the nave is adjoined by a lower annex in the form of a wooden tower, having a wooden post-and-beam structure and topped with a gable roof with wood shingles. Inside, there is a flat beamed ceiling. The music gallery is supported by two posts. The rood beam is adorned with a folk crucifix. The church fittings include a Mannerist main altar and 18th-century side altars.

The church can only be visited from the outside.

compiled by Tomasz Łuczak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 15-11-2015.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. 5, Woj. wielkopolskie, red. Ruszczyńska Teresa, Sławska Aniela, z. 17, Pow. ostrzeszowski, opr. Chrzanowski Tadeusz, Kornecki Marian, Samek Jan, Warszawa 1958, s. 11.
  • Kościoły drewniane w Wielkopolsce, red. Mariusz Grzebalski, Poznań 2004, s. 180.
  • Wielkopolska. Słownik krajoznawczy, red. Łęcki Włodzimierz, Poznań 2002, s. 236.
  • http://kosciolydrewniane.pl - odsłona z listopada 2015 r.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1820–1821
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Olszyna 95
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district ostrzeszowski, commune Ostrzeszów - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area