Granary, Olszowa
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The granary is an example of a stone utility building, which is part of a farm complex. It is a remnant of a stud farm known in pre-war Europe. Nowadays, it is adapted for cultural and service activities.

History

In 1825, count Andreas Renard residing in Strzelce Opolskie founded a stud farm for racehorses, which was owned by his heirs until 1945. In addition, sheep and cattle breeding was carried out in farm buildings concentrated around two yards. After 1945, the grange belonged to the State Treasury. After being purchased by a private person, it has been renovated in recent years. The Park of Sacred Miniatures was opened in the nearby area in 2014. The granary houses a two-level restaurant with a mezzanine. The existing buildings date back to the late 19th century and early 20th century.

Description

The farm complex in Olszowa is located about 5 km south of Strzelce Opolskie. Farm buildings are concentrated around two yards on both sides of the road leading to the village. On the south side there were stables, cowshed, granary, utility and residential buildings, and garden. Buildings situated along Hodowlana Street, including stable, cowshed and granary located east of the entrance to the yard, have survived to this day.

The three-storey granary was erected on a floor plan in the shape of a short rectangle, using crushed limestone and brick. The exterior walls formerly plastered, currently uncovered, feature exposed colours of building materials. A tall gable roof is clad with roof tiles. The front façade facing the yard is five-axial, with small symmetrically arranged rectangular window openings enclosed in brick frames. The central axis features an entrance opening preceded by steps and accentuated with narrow brick lesenes and a small superstructure supported by corbels, with a single oculus, covered with a gable roof. The façade facing the road is five-axial, symmetrical, with brick surrounds around the openings. The gable-end façade is two-axial, divided by brick lesenes and a cornice contrasting with a white stone face of the wall. The eastern gable-end wall is obscured by a modern glazed building.

The interior of the building is partitioned by wooden beamed ceilings, supported by massive, also wooden, pillars. After modernisation, originally single-space interiors are used as restaurant rooms.

The monument is open to the public from the outside; Viewing of the interior is possible during the opening hours of the restaurant.

compiled by Ewa Kalbarczyk-Klak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 12-11-2015.

Bibliography

  • Zapomniane zabytki, E. Molak, I. Racławicki, Opole 2008, vol. 1, pp. 316-319.
  • Olszowa - do niedawna ściśle tajna, D. Pietrucha, “Odkrywca”, no. 11/178, 2013.

General information

  • Type: utility building
  • Chronology: koniec XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Hodowlana 5, Olszowa
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district strzelecki, commune Ujazd - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area