Parish Church of St. Martin and Holy Mother Queen of the World, Ochodze
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of St. Martin and Holy Mother Queen of the World



Built in the early 18th century, the church is an example of a translocated structure serving its function in a new location. It is distinguished by a uniform Baroque interior fittings rich in stylish architectural details.


The church was erected in the nearby village of Komprachcice, where it was located until 1942. The existence of the church in Komprachcice is confirmed by the mentions of 1335 and 1398; the construction of a new church began in 1702, more than twenty years after the establishment of the parish. In 1936, a new church was built in the village. After a brief period of coexistence of both churches, the old one was dismantled and handed over to Ochodze, where it served as a filial church. In 1960, the church obtained the second dedication of the Holy Mother Queen of the World. It underwent renovations in 1957-1958 and 1970s, among others.


The church is located in the western part of the village, on the southern side of Myśliwska Street, with its chancel facing the south. The church adjoins a field altar to the east, a tomb chapel and utility buildings to the west, and fields to the south. The plot with the remains of the cemetery is surrounded by a fence and planted with trees (mainly lime trees).

The church consists of an almost square nave, a short chancel closed off on three sides, a small sacristy adjoining it to the south-east, and a square tower and a small porch at the side wall of the nave. The squat body is dominated by a three-storey tower covered with a tented roof and a two-storey steeple turret covered with a bulbous cupola on the eastern edge of the roof of the nave. The roof of the tower is surmounted by a two-armed Cross of Caravaca, turret cupola - weathervane with a flag and the date of consecration (1703). The nave is covered with a gable roof, the slightly lower chancel with a saddle roof with three planes over the ending section.

The church is a log structure built of rectangular beams, on a stone foundation, with a tower featuring a post-and-beam structure. All façades, roofs and cupola over the turret are clad with wood shingles. The interiors of the nave and the chancel are of equal height, covered with flat ceilings, ornamented with geometric decoration in the form of overlaid slats and murals. The rood opening is closed off by a bevelled and overhanging full arch, including a beam supported by cut-out corbels. On the beam there is a late-Gothic crucifix from the 16th century and sculptures of Sts. Peter and Paul from around the mid-17th century. The beamed choir gallery rests on six ornate pillars in the shape of massive double-spindle balusters with double rings in the middle. Three sides of the choir project to the front; the balustrade is divided into quarters and ended with a decoratively cut-out painted slat at the bottom. The entrance to the sacristy is surmounted by a basket-handle arch, the entrance under the tower and in the porch by an overhanging segmental arch like two pairs of tall narrow windows in the nave and one in the chancel.

The rich late Baroque fixtures and fittings date back to the 18th century. The main altar with a niche in its central part surmounted by a shell motif was made in the early 18th century. The niche contains sculptures of St. Martin and angels and statues of St. Gregory and Nicholas are on its sides. Side parts of the altar are shaped in a stepped manner, with columns. The whole is crowned with a massive ornamental cornice with sculptures and flanked by gates on columns, with sculptures of Sts. John of Nepomuk and Florian. The left side altar with the image of the Mother of God is framed by sculptures of saints and finial in the form of a heart burning in glory; the right altar of architectural nature features the image in a Rococo frame. The simple pulpit with a rectangular canopy dates from the first half of the 18th century. Other fixtures and fittings are in Baroque and folk style. Benches are stylistically matched to the interior from the period of construction of the church.

The church can be viewed from the outside; the interior is open to visitors during services or by arrangement with the parish priest.

compiled by Ewa Kalbarczyk-Klak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 08-10-2014.


  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. VII: Województwo opolskie, issue 11: Miasto Opole i powiat opolski, prepared by T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, pp. 92-93.
  • Emmerling D., Wierzgoń A., Opolskie kościoły drewniane, Opole 2011, pp. 54-55.
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, Bd. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg.-Bezirks Oppeln, T. 2, Breslau 1894, p. 278.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1702
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Ochodze
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district opolski, commune Komprachcice
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland


report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area