Evangelical church, currently the Polish Catholic Parish Church of Apostles Peter and Paul - Zabytek.pl
woj. opolskie, pow. brzeski, gm. Olszanka-gmina wiejska
A church existed on this site as early as in the first half of the 14th century. After the church was taken over in 1534, the Protestants replaced it with a new one. It was built in several essential stages. Presumably in the 16th century, a wooden chancel and a nave, and later a tower (1755, date on the steeple and on one of the components of the structure) were added to the masonry sacristy — a remnant of the Gothic church. The southern porch was added later. Murals on the ceiling, among others, were made at the initiative of Carl Christoph v. Mincowietz u. Schoenfeld during work in 1685. The church served the Protestants until 1945 (including as a separate parish in 1730-1819), when it was taken over the Roman Catholic Church. The Polish Catholic Parish of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary was established there in 1967.
The church is located in the eastern part of the village developed as a linear settlement. It is surrounded by a small cemetery and fenced by a wall which is partly medieval, made of field stone and partly of brick. The present shape of the church is the result of its gradual extension. To the east, the nave featuring a corner-notched log structure adjoins a narrower chancel featuring Upper Lusatian half-timbered framing (the corner-notched log walls covered with pugging adjoin an additional timber-framed structure to the south); on the north side of the chancel there is a sacristy made of brick (brick layout and detail in Gothic style) and plastered. The timber-frame tower (1775) is covered with weatherboards and surmounted by a cupola. The timber-frame porch with a wall structure with brick infill dates from a later period. Gable roofs and tower cupola are clad with wood shingles. In the church there are numerous discernible traces of repairs and alterations. The walls inside the church are whitewashed. Only on the northern wall of the chancel, around the entrance to the sacristy, fragments of ornamental murals have been revealed. The shape of the door opening and the door to the sacristy (with fittings and lock) are Gothic in style. The ceiling over the nave and the chancel is covered with murals: painted frames are filled with floral decoration and braid motif; the ceiling also bears foundation inscriptions (1685). The preserved original fittings and fixtures include a stone baptismal font from the 16th century and a painted wooden pulpit from the third quarter of the 17th century. However, there is no wooden gallery in the southern part of the nave, which was dismantled probably after World War 2.
The church is in use and is open to visitors; it belongs to the Parish of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Obórki.
compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 01-10-2014.
- Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. VII: Województwo opolskie, issue 1: Powiat brzeski, inventory prepared by T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, M. Zlat, Warsaw 1961.
Category: sacral architecture
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_16_BK.18028, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_16_BK.10753