Granary, Oblin
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl
photo

A brick-built granary dates back to approx. mid 19th century. It has been inscribed to the register of monuments as a valuable example of utility architecture. Along with the surrounding area, it forms an arrangement with interesting spatial and landscape values. Deemed valuable due to its spatial layout and architectural shape, of importance to the region and the history of architecture.

History

The granary was erected around mid 19th century in Oblin - a farm belonging to the Podzamcze-Maciejowice estate, owned by the Zamoyski family in the years 1792-1945. Erected on an escarpment of the Vistula’s old river bed, in 1898 it was destroyed by flood. The south-western wall suffered damages. On this spot, the plinth was lowered and a wooden, plastered wall was inserted. After World War II the granary was used by a municipal cooperative, which handed the feature over to the Maciejowice commune in 1995. The commune issued a call for tender for the sale of the feature. Currently, the granary is owned by a private person, who surrounded the plot with net fencing.

Description

The granary in Oblin stands on an escarpment of the lake (Vistula’s old river bed) amidst the fields, about 1 kilometre west of Maciejowice. The building was erected on a rectangular floor plan, with a clear division into bays. All storeys have a single-space plan. The building has three storeys, no basement and a tall half-hip roof with a wide eaves. It is made of brick and rests on a stone-and-brick foundation. The walls are plastered. The roof has a rafter-and-beam structure, covered with weatherboarding and membrane. Wooden gables of the frame structure, with entablature on the outside. Along the entire height, external walls are reinforced by brick pillars. Longitudinal walls include four pillars, corners include four pillars and each axis of end walls include one pillar. The pillars project ahead of the walls and form external and internal lesenes. Door and window lintels terminate in flat arches. A bearing structure of the first storey rests on a foundation and four wooden pillars. A damaged brick wall of the south-western corner was replaced by a wooden, post-and-plank structure extending along two storeys. The second storey rests on a system of crossbeams extending parallel to the longitudinal axis, resting on posts and ceiling purlins. The third storey that forms an attic has two knee walls. Wooden, half-landing stairs, with a handrail on the first storey. An opening to lift goods is located in floors of the second and third storey. On the second storey, in the front, there is a door opening for pouring grain. All window and door openings are of a frame type. Two-wing external doors made of planks, clad with sheet metal on the outside. One-wing door made of planks on the second storey. Single, two-wing, four-field, partially glazed front windows. Other windows are one-wing, two-field. The gables of the third storey include single, six-field, one-wing windows. The northern front façade has five axes. The ground floor rests on a low plinth. Door openings along the axis. The façade is symmetrically partitioned by six lesenes, between which rectangular window openings are arranged. The eastern gable façade has two axes. Vertical partition accentuated by three lesenes, which on the second floor become wider towards the ground floor in steps. Both storeys include window openings between lesenes. The gable has shiplap weatherboarding; there is a window opening on the gable axis. A four-axis south façade; on the side of buttress partially on a tall plinth lowering at the south-western corner. Window openings similar as on the front façade. The symmetry of the façade is violated in the south-western corner, where a wooden wall without window openings was inserted. A single-axis west façade, on a low plinth lowering towards the buttress. A wooden corner wall, south-western, plastered. The gable clad with weatherboarding with a window opening on the axis.

The structure is unavailable to visitors, it can be viewed only from across the fence.

Compiled by Katarzyna Kosior, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw, 21-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Tom X Województwo Warszawskie, zeszyt 2 powiat garwoliński, Instytut Sztuki PAN, Warszawa 1967 r.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury i budownictwa tzw Karta Biała, W. Lempka, 1 sierpnia 2000 r.

General information

  • Type: utility building
  • Chronology: ok. poł XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Oblin
  • Location: Voivodeship mazowieckie, district garwoliński, commune Maciejowice
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area