Capuchin Redoubt, Nysa
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The Capuchin Redoubt represents a 18th-century earthen defensive structure, forming part of the complex of structures which were once of military significance (period of Frederick’s rule) for the town of Nysa. It is an example of the so-called old Prussian school, included in the complex of fortifications of the town.

History

The redoubt was built in 1743-1746, as part of the so-called Capuchin Ramparts. The inscription on the keystone of the gate reads “FR Anno 1744” and probably refers to the completion of the construction of the stone and brick parts of the structure. In the second half of the 19th century, after counterguards had been dismantled and the moats and the reservoir had been filled, the redoubt was used as a storehouse. Thus, a number of alterations were introduced, consisting in, among other things, the bricking up of some of the narrow embrasure windows and piercing new, wider window openings in the internal walls of the yard. In addition, the interior was divided using transverse walls. The external gate portal was removed and earthen profiles of the main ramparts were liquidated. In 1910, at the south-eastern corner of the square of the redoubt, a casino building was erected. Today, the structure is unused.

Description

The structure is located by Szlak Chrobrego Street, on the right bank of the Nysa Kłodzka river, within plot of land no. 5/7.

The Capuchin Redoubt was built on a rectangular plan, size 86 x 90 metres, with a round internal yard circumscribed by brick casemates (used as storehouses and barracks) covered with earthen structures. The whole structure is buttressed with brick walls. The brick façades with simple stone detail of the portal located on the inside of the gate are articulated with deep reveals of square embrasures. The internal façade of the redoubt is topped with a string course, and the external façade is plain and smooth.

The interiors of the casemates are covered with brick vaults. The original fittings of the fort have not survived and the moats dated to the initial period of the construction were graded.

Limited access to the monument. It is located within a plant.

compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 08-12-2015.

Bibliography

  • Studium konserwatorskie miasta Nysy, Małachowicz M., Wrocław-Nysa 2000.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytków architektury i budownictwa - Twierdza Nysa - Reduta Kapucyńska, oprac. Maciej Małachowicz, Arch. WUOZ w Opolu.

General information

  • Type: defensive architecture
  • Chronology: 1743 - 1746
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Szlak Chrobrego 8, Nysa
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district nyski, commune Nysa - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area