A Gothic Revival palace, Nowy Duninów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

A Gothic Revival palace

Nowy Duninów

photo

The feature represents a valuable example of Romanesque architecture in the Gothic Revival style. It has an original architectural form, unique in this part of Poland.

History

A Gothic Revival palace, called “A Small Castle”, was erected in the second quarter of the 19th century as a residence of Karol Wilhelm Albrecht Count von Ike, a judicial counsellor of the Kingdom of Prussian, coming from Lower Silesia. Probably, upon the commissioner’s wish, the inspiration for the Small Castle was a palace in Wojanów (Schildau) in Lower Silesia, near Jelenia Góra, which also belonged to the Ike family in the years 1831-1839.

Detailed history of the feature is unknown. We know that it was used as a Evangelical-Augsburg chapel; later, it housed, among others, a cinema. After World War II the palace served as a hotel. From 1946 onwards the palace belonged to: Polish Tourist Association Płock, Harvesting Machines Manufacture in Płock and Commune Office in Nowy Duninów. Currently, the palace is a private property.

Description

The Small Castle is located in the south-eastern part of a historic park, which includes two other palaces: the main palace and the hunters’ palace. During the times of glory, the features were surrounded by four vast ponds, currently dried up, which represented a valuable complement of the entire park complex.

The building is made of red clinker brick, not plastered, erected on a T-shaped floor plan. The body has an irregular shape, with two storeys, an attic and a basement under parts of the building. From the east, there is a round, four-storey tower connected to the main corpus with a perpendicular connector. Storeys partitioned on façades by string course. What is distinctive for the Gothic Revival style applied here, is the pointed-arch shape of windows, a stepped gable in the southern façade and faux machicolations in the tower’s crown. Barrel vaults were applied in the interiors.

Private area The site is available for viewing from outside the fence.

Compiled by Bartłomiej Modrzewski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw, 17 October 2014.

Bibliography

  • T. Glinka, M. Kamiński, M. Piasecki, K. Przygoda, A. Walenciak, Mazowsze północne. Przewodnik, Warszawa 1998.
  • T. S. Jaroszewski, Po pałacach i dworach Mazowsza. Przewodnik, cz. II, Warszawa 1996.
  • A. Sumlińska, A. Sumliński, Zespół pałacowo-parkowy w Nowym Duninowie na starej fotografii, „Nasze Korzenie” 2012, nr 2, s. 20-22.
  • Zabytki, Serwis gminy Nowy Duninów, http://www2.nowyduninow.info.pl/side.php?id=23, dostęp: 17-10-2014.

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: 2 ćw. XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Nowy Duninów
  • Location: Voivodeship mazowieckie, district płocki, commune Nowy Duninów
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area