Smock windmill, Nowe
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

An example of wooden architecture, typical for the region. The structure is used for economic purposes.

History

The windmill was erected in 1858. A fire at the beginning of the 1970s destroyed the head, which was substituted with a new one at the beginning of the 1980s.

Description

The windmill takes up the inside of a small plot in the northern part of the town of Nowe. It is made of stone and cement-lime fired, solid brick, not plastered from the outside, the walls are partially made of stone and plastered inside. It is made on a floor plan of a circle. A roof is a dome-shaped head (originally rotating), taking up two thirds of the length of the roof ridge on the southern side. There is a small wooden gable roof covered with long battens. There are wooden vaults on a beam construction, covered with boards perpendicularly to the beams. There are single-pass wooden stairs. There are loom, wooden, single, one-wing windows in the openings crowned with a round arch. Modern, frame and panel main door is crowned with a segmental arch. Southern facade has a main entrance in the ground floor zone. The opening is preceded by a brick portal protruding beyond the face of the wall. The entrance has a segmental arch, vault cell is crowned with a drip from the reel. Above that there is an extension of an architrave with a cornice of two layers of bricks, supported from below with small corbel blocks made of profiled brick. There is a decorative crenellation with a roof surmounting the portal. Window openings of the first and second floors are framed with brick bands, closed triangularly with a roof. The windows are accentuated from the bottom by the brick sill. Northern facade is similar to the southern one,  there is an annexe on a rectangular floor plan in a modern style added in the ground floor zone. Over the second floor, above the brick wall, the northern wall is cut flatly and it has a rectangular window. Eastern and western facades has window openings similar to the southern facade. All of the facades are mounted on the low brick plinth. The ground and first floor zones are separated on the entire circumference with a cornice slightly protruding beyond the face of the wall. The system of metal guide bar with wheels, mounted to the currently locked rotating head was preserved from the original equipment. The main shaft with the vanes was reconstructed.

Limited access to the historic building. Private property - the structure used for catering purposes.

Compiled by Kamila Witkowska, National Heritage Board of Poland Regional Branch in Toruń, 08.09.2014.

Bibliography

  • Record sheet of architecture and construction historic buildings, September 1997.

General information

  • Type: windmill
  • Chronology: 1858 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Nowe
  • Location: Voivodeship kujawsko-pomorskie, district świecki, commune Nowe - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area