Town defensive walls, Nowe Miasto Lubawskie
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

An element of an old municipal complex, an example of defensive architecture preserved in a discernible perimeter. The most valuable element of new municipal fortifications are two fully preserved, Gothic gate fortified towers: Lubawska and Brodnicka.

History

The perimeter of municipal fortifications of Nowe Miasto Lubawskie was built in the first half of the 14th century. Originally, the town was surround by makeshift wooden and earthen reinforcements. Another stage consisted in securing the entrances to the town with brick and stone gates. Brick and stone fortifications were started to be built ca. in 1330. The line of defensive walls was delimited along a nearly trapezoidal perimeter. The upper, face sections of the walls were made of brick, while the foundation sections — with widely accessible granite field stone. In the second half of the 14th century, they were extended. In the place of significantly lower entrance gates, three high gates were created: on the north, at the outlet of Kazimierza Wielkiego Street — Bratiańska gate, on the north-west — Lubawska gate also called "Łąkowska", and on the south-west — Brodnicka gate, also called "Kurzętnicka". To improved defensive features, 21 rectangular fortified half-towers, open from the town side, were embedded in the main line of fortifications. In the 19th century, some of them were adapted to serve as residential premises, of which significant part survived until today. In three corners of the defensive walls, round fortified towers were built, and in the fourth one — a square tower preserved in the form of a residential building. The external complement of the new municipal fortifications was constituted by a doubly moat fed from Drwęca and an earthen rampart — both indiscernible today. In the 17th century, fortifications were partially damaged, even if during the wars with Sweden they efficiently inhibited attacks of the enemy. This fact was documented in the form of a fresco painted in 1638 on the wall of the Gothic church of St. Thomas. Municipal walls of Nowe Miasto Lubawskie entirely lost their importance in the 19th century, and brick and stone taken from them constituted raw material for houses built by Okólna Street. In the 1930s, in both survived gate towers passages for pedestrians were made, and in the 1950s, the rooms of the Brodnicka tower were adopted for the headquarters of the Museum of the region of Nowe Miasto Lubawskie.

Description

The most discernible fragments of municipal fortifications are located in the southern part of the town, to the west from the Brodnicka tower; along Okólna Street and in the north-east part, nearby the Gothic parish church of St. Thomas, where relics of a corner round fortified tower are also preserved. The side walls of both gate towers, Brodnicka and Lubawska, feature remains of former passages to the walls, enabling to recreated the original height of the latter, which was from 4 to 5 metres.

Accessible structure.

Compiled by Adam Mackiewicz, 6.12.2014.



Bibliography

  • Wojciechowski M.(red.), Nowe Miasto Lubawskie zarys dziejów, Nowe Miasto Lubawskie 1992, s. 37
  • Witkowski Z. (red.), Nowe Miasto Lubawskie, z dziejów miasta i powiatu, Olsztyn 1963,
  • s. 193-200
  • [b. aut.] Nowe Miasto Lubawskie - magiczne spotkanie z historią, Urząd Miejski w Nowym Mieście Lubawskim 2011

General information

  • Type: defensive wall
  • Chronology: 1330
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Nowe Miasto Lubawskie
  • Location: Voivodeship warmińsko-mazurskie, district nowomiejski, commune Nowe Miasto Lubawskie (gm. miejska)
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area