Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene, Nowe Miasteczko
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene

Nowe Miasteczko

photo

An example of a medieval church, extended a couple of times in the early modern period, with historical fittings dating back to the early 16th century.

History

The first reference to a church in Nowe Miasteczko is contained in written sources from 1305. The church, erected in the 14th century, was a single-nave stone building with a separated chancel. After 1525, on the southern side a side nave and a founders’ loge were added, and the nave was covered with a vault. Approx. in mid-16th century, the tower was extended upwards. At that time, the church remained in the hands of Evangelicals; Catholics reclaimed it in 1629. In the Renaissance period, annexes were added to the body, and the gable of the tower was decorated with a roof parapet and a spire. In 1841, the tower underwent renovation.

Description

The parish church of St Mary Magdalene is a brick two-nave building with a rectangular chancel. It is reinforced with buttresses. The church is entirely plastered and covered with gable roofs. The loge and the tower are topped with Mannerist roofs built around 1600. Window openings are of pointed-arch type or have semicircular arches in their top sections. On the ground floor of the tower, there is the main entrance. Inside the church, there are surviving interesting vaults: stellar vaults in the chancel and the sacristy, lierne vault in the main nave, side nave, and groin vaults in the galleries. In the porch, there is a barrel vault with lunettes. The Mannerist balustrades of the side gallery and the upper storey of the pipe organ gallery are dated to the 17th century. The oldest element of the church fittings is the late-Gothic triptych from 1510, with figures of St Joseph and Mary, brought from the church in Gołaszyn. There are also surviving Gothic sculpture in the church: Pensive Christ and Pieta from the first half of the 16th century. Among younger fittings, there are: an 18th-century main altar with Crucifixion, pipe organ, neo-Gothic side altars of St John of Nepomuk and St Nicholas, pews and ambo from the second half of the 19th century.

Next to the church, there are figures of the Blessed Virign Mary and St John of Nepomuk. Also a single-storey, Classicist rectory from 1811 can be found there, with a porch with two Doric columns. It is covered with a clipped-gable roof.

The building is accessible all year round.

compiled by Krzysztof Garbacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 25-03-2015.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 2: Powiaty: żarski - żagański - nowosolski - wschowski, Zielona Góra 2012, s. 234-235, fot. 126.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 256-257, fot. 126.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Nowe Miasteczko
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district nowosolski, commune Nowe Miasteczko - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area