Uniate tserkva, currently serving as a cemetery Orthodox tserkva of the Ascension of Christ, Nowa Wola
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Uniate tserkva, currently serving as a cemetery Orthodox tserkva of the Ascension of Christ

Nowa Wola

photo

The building represents the Late Baroque phase in Uniate tserkva design, modelled after the architecture of Catholic churches, as evidenced by its compact shape and the presence of a single roof above both the nave and the chancel. Its architects appear to have modelled its design after that of the churches located along the boundary between the Mazowsze (Mazovia) and Podlasie regions (Cibory Kołaczki, Kalinówka Kościelna) as well as of the former Uniate tserkva in Tykocin, currently located in Sokoły.

History

The history of the tserkva remains shrouded in mystery. It was most likely erected in 1804 in the marshes of Kamienny Bród; during that period, it was known as the tserkva of the Mother of God. In 1845, the tserkva was relocated into the cemetery. In the years 1984-1986, the building underwent a comprehensive restoration, with the entire structure being properly levelled; the sill plates were replaced, as was the external and internal weatherboard cladding. The fibre cement roof cladding was replaced with wood shingles. Once the renovation works were completed, the tserkva was reconsecrated in 1987.

Description

The tserkva is located south-west of the village, in the cemetery. It is oriented towards the east. It was designed in the Baroque style.

The building was erected on a rectangular floor plan, its chancel featuring a semi-hexagonal end section, while the rectangular vestibule takes the form of an avant-corps. The entire body of the tserkva is covered with a common gable roof, with the chancel end section featuring a three-sided roof. The individual storeys of the vestibule are separated by a broad skirt roof.

The tserkva is made of wooden logs, its structure positioned on a stone and concrete foundation. The roof is covered with wood shingles. The walls are clad with vertically positioned weatherboards. The building features double-glazed windows. The double entrance door is made of wood. The tserkva also features wooden ceilings and floors. Inside, the building features single-flight stringer stairs.

The single-nave interior is covered with a flat wooden ceiling. The chancel is separated from the rest of the interior by the iconostasis. The choir gallery rises above the entrance into the nave.

The building can be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Grażyna Rogala, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Białystok, 18-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Keczyński E. and A., Drewniane cerkwie Białostocczyzny, Białystok - Białowieża (1998) 1999, catalogue no. 48.
  • Nos L., Monografia gminy Michałowo, Białystok 1996, p. 172.
  • Nos L., Przewodnik po gminie Michałowo, Białystok 1999, p. 74.

General information

  • Type: tserkva
  • Chronology: 1804 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Nowa Wola
  • Location: Voivodeship podlaskie, district białostocki, commune Michałowo - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area