Evangelical church, currently the Roman Catholic Parish Church of St Michael the Archangel, Nowa Sól
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Evangelical church, currently the Roman Catholic Parish Church of St Michael the Archangel

Nowa Sól

photo

The Church of St Michael the Archangel is a valuable example of sacred architecture from the Renaissance and Baroque periods.

History

The building was erected as an evangelical church between 1591 and 1597. It was founded by Daniel Preuss, imperial governor of salt works. In 1651, Catholics took over the church. In 1688 the building was extended by an annex on the north side. A porch located in the southern section of the church dates back to 1782. In 1872-1880 the church was extended by a transept and a sacristy. In 1945 the Baroque dome atop the tower was destroyed. The church was renovated in the 1970s and in 2006-2007.

Description

The church is situated on the east side of Wrocławska Street, the main artery of the town, near a river, on a small plot of land surrounded by a densely built residential area. To the north and east it is fenced with a nineteenth-century stone and brick wall, while to the south and west it is closed off with a modern fence. The entrance to the area of the church leads through a Baroque gate topped with a sculpture of the patron. The brick and stone building is oriented, consists of one nave, with a buttressed transept, and has features of the Renaissance and Baroque style. It is characterised by a partitioned body, lack of uniformity, and an irregular floor plan, resulting from several extensions. To the north and south the nave section is enlivened by annexes of the sacristy, porch and chapel, terminating in a semi-circular apse to the east and in a tower section to the west. The two-storey nave is covered with a gable roof, the rest of the building is covered with a shed roof, gable roof, gable roof with a hip end, and a semi-conical roof. The tower is crowned with a pyramid-shaped roof. The facades are pierced by numerous windows of varying sizes, most of which terminate in semi-circular arches, usually filled with modern stained glass compositions. The interior of the building features groin vaults and a lavish Baroque decor.

Limited access to the monument. Viewing of the church interior is only possible by prior telephone arrangement.

Compiled by Marta Kłaczkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 10-09-2014 r.

Bibliography

  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 251.
  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 2, Zielona Góra 2012, s. 215.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1591 r. -1597 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kościelna 2, Nowa Sól
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district nowosolski, commune Nowa Sól (gm. miejska)
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area