Hillfort, Nielbark
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl
photo

An example of an upland hill fort located on the verge of a hill shaped as a promontory, surrounded by waterlogged meadows.

Location and description

The structure is located to the south-east from the junction of the national road E15 with the district road leading to Nielbark and Batuszew. The hill fort lays ca. 50 c from the junction, over a small watercourse flowing at its feet on the north. The hill fort is an upland structure. It is shape like a crater on an oval plan, sized 60 x 50, and practically without yard. Its external ramparts are elevated when compared to the surrounding area up to 16-18 m. The rampart features 3 saddle-shaped depressions: in the northern, north-eastern, and south-western part. The area of the hill fort is overgrown with grass, isolated young trees and shrubbery. To the east from the hill fort, the elevation (slightly lower than the hill fort itself) is continued in the form of an elongated platform, which constitutes remains of an open settlement connected with the hill fort. The structure constitutes a distinct and highly attractive dominant feature of the surrounding landscape.

History

Research has shown that the structure was not heavily used. It was functioning in the first half of the 11th century. The hill fort in Wielbark is called "Trench" by local population, which is probably connected with its strategic location in relation to the road E15, a route of high importance during the World War II. Distortion of the hill fort, which additionally affected its current shape, is a result of using it by the Germans as a source of stones for road construction. Remains of stone rubble on the site was registered also during archaeological examinations conducted there.

Condition and results of archaeological research.

The first examinations of the hill fort were conducted in April 1931. Unfortunately, the results are unknown. Archeologists returned to the hill fort in Wielbark in 1990. It was an expedition of the Institute of Archeology and Ethnology of Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń. The third examination was conducted in 1997 and enabled to determine that the structure was not intensely used and in the mid-11th century, it was destroyed by fire.

Due to its location, the hill fort is perfectly visible from the road E15 running from Nowe Miasto Lubawskie to Brodnica.

Compiled by Hanna Mackiewicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board in Olsztyn, 6.08.2014

 

Bibliography

  • K. Grążawski, Z najnowszych badań pogranicza słowiańsko-pruskiego w rejonie lubawsko-iławskim, „Pruthenia”, 2006, t. II, s. 24-25
  • K. Grążawski, Ziemia Lubawska na pograniczu słowiańsko-pruskim w VII - XIII w. Studiom nad rozwojem osadnictwa, Wydawnictwo UWM, Olsztyn 2009, ss. 165-166

General information

  • Type: hillfort
  • Chronology: 1000-1100
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Nielbark
  • Location: Voivodeship warmińsko-mazurskie, district nowomiejski, commune Kurzętnik
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area