Residential building no. 34, Nieborowo
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Residential building no. 34

Nieborowo

photo

An example of a 19th-century, narrow-front timber-framed cottage modelled after the so-called “Pyrzyce house” - an architectural template whereby the residential and utility sections of the house were combined under a single roof. The renovated and revitalised cottage features the exposed wooden frame of its half-timbered walls and preserved original items of period wooden joinery and fretwork decorations. House no. 34 and the neighbouring house no. 33 constitute a unique complex of rural buildings.

History

The cottage was erected in 1828, most likely by the local brickmasons and carpenters. In 1925, it underwent a redesign, with parts of its wattle-and-daub infills replaced with brick ones by the brickmason Herbert Glortz. From the period of its construction until 1945, the house and the surrounding farmyard formed the property of the Glöpsner family of wealthy farmers. In 2002, the building underwent renovation works, with parts of its timber frame being replaced; the remaining wattle-and-daub infills were replaced with ceramic brick.

Today, the house is private property.

Description

The cottage is located in the middle of the village, in the western frontage, its gable facing the road (front-gabled layout). The house is adjoined by a livestock building positioned in the yard.

Initially, the farm consisted of a few more buildings - the barn, the utility building and the house of the farm-hand.

The house is a narrow-front cottage representing an architectural model known as the Pyrzyce cottage; it was built by local carpenters using the traditional half-timbered construction technique.

The building was erected on a roughly square plan, its dimensions being 12 x 12.7 metres; the front façade of the house faces east. Initially, the house featured a pair of entrances - the front entrance in the eastern wall and the back entrance leading across the livestock building. The cottage is a single-storey, cuboid building with a basement underneath parts of its structure, covered by a tall gable roof with a two-storey attic space which today performs both residential and storage functions. The total height of the building is approximately 11 metres, with the roof being twice as tall as the walls below.

Originally, the walls featured a timber frame structure (half-timbering) with wattle-and-daub (clay) infills which have since been replaced with brick infills. The structural framework is made up of rhythmically spaced posts, embedded in the sill plate, fastened with top plates and bound together with two levels of wooden beams; the quarters at the corners are stabilised by diagonal braces. The panels between the beams feature exposed brick infills. The original infills in the southern and western walls (the latter also serving as the load-bearing wall for the adjoining livestock building) have been replaced with ceramic brick ones during the 1925 restoration. The rafter-and-collar roof features two layers of collar beams; the lower ones are supported by queen posts on both sides, while the upper ones rest upon a single queen post. The roofs are clad with modern beaver-tail tiles laid in a “lace” pattern. The beam and clay ceilings feature a smooth plaster finish.

The front (eastern) façade retains its original, four-axial layout with a rhythmic arrangement of door and window openings, accentuated by the distinctive pattern formed by the structural timber frame and the contrasting ceramic brick infills. The beams in the gable just below the roof ridge form a diagonal grid.

The interior generally retains its original layout, with three suites of rooms and a vestibule which leads alongside the longer axis of the house, from one end to another. The front and southern parts of the house serves as the residential section, with the kitchen, pantry and bathroom positioned in the northern and western section.

The cottage still features the original door joinery with period metal fittings made by a local blacksmith. The double door up front is a period item, with its decorative panelling, glazing and transom light.

Private property.

The structure can be viewed from the outside, with three sides of the building visible from the street.

compiled by Waldemar Witek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Szczecin, 21-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Arlet J., Drewniane budownictwo szkieletowe na Pomorzu Zachodnim, Szczecin 2004, pp. 77-78.
  • “Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce”, new series, vol. XIII, woj. zachodniopomorskie, issue 1, pow. pyrzycki, D. Bartosz, M. Słomiński (eds.), Warsaw 2013, pp. 115-116
  • Lemcke H., Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler des Regierungsbezirks Stettin, H. VII, Der Kreis Pyritz, Stettin 1906, p. 49.

General information

  • Type: cottage
  • Chronology: 1 poł. XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Nieborowo 34
  • Location: Voivodeship zachodniopomorskie, district pyrzycki, commune Pyrzyce - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area