Filial Church of Our Lady of the Scapular, Nawojów Łużycki
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Filial Church of Our Lady of the Scapular

Nawojów Łużycki

photo

The church has started its life as a manor house - a country residence of the local nobility. Today, it remains an outstanding example of Renaissance residential architecture, distinguished from its counterparts by its sumptuous decorations and detailing. Its importance also stems from the fact that its original owner was the representative of a renowned Silesian family of magnates.

History

The building was originally erected in the years 1570-71 by Hans Christoph von Tschirnhaus, who also created the design for the house. Having been partially destroyed by fire in 1626, the manor house was subsequently redesigned and extended during the 18th century through the addition of an eastern wing at the request of its erstwhile owners - the Magdalene Sisters from Lubań. The mansion sustained damage in 1945 and was partially rebuilt in the years 1966-68, at which point it had been decided that it would serve as an ecclesiastical building. The western wing was secured against further damage and left in a state of permanent ruin.

Description

The manor house is located in the northern part of the village. It is a Renaissance building made of brick and stone. Its irregular outline consists of the main body, designed on a square floor plan, and a pair of wings - the shorter western wing and the longer eastern wing, adjoined by a vestibule annex to the north. The main body and the eastern wing are topped with hip roofs, with an octagonal steeple jutting from the roof ridge of the wing. The western part of the structure remains in a state of roofless ruin. A two-storey, stone cloister with a single-bay avant-corps positioned at the northern edge thereof and topped with a triangular pediment adjoins the northern façade of the main body of the building as well as parts of the eastern façade of the eastern wing, which currently serves as a church; the cloister features vaulted ceilings of the barrel type. The wide, segmental arches of its ground floor section are adorned with decorative voussoirs and supported by Tuscan columns. Above the lower arcade rises a solid parapet supporting fluted Ionic columns upon which rests the first-floor arcade, its arches only half as wide as those beneath. The first-floor parapet features a series of arcaded niches incorporating various heraldic cartouches (including those of the von Tschirnhaus, von Hochberg, von Kottwitz, von Liedlau, von Chamer and von Nostitz noble families); the niches are flanked by caryatids - personifications of Charity (Caritas) and Flora as well as female figures with musical instruments. An inscription can be seen above one of the first floor arches. In the western wing of the building there is a rectangular stone portal with a pair of Corinthian pilasters, adorned with sculpted heads of various fantasy creatures as well as by decorative panels. Vestiges of a partially effaced inscription can still be seen on the entablature frieze. The windows in this part of the building are framed with fasciated stone surrounds, some of them eared. The windows of the eastern section of the manor house are mostly adorned with plaster surrounds. A small, single-storey bay housing a shrine projects from the middle of the eastern façade; the top of the bay serves as a terrace. The interior of the former mansion’s wing is currently a single-bay structure, its internal divisions having changed substantially over time. It features a flat ceiling, with a barrel vault with lunettes used for the southern section thereof, currently serving as a chancel. The main body and the western wing are two-bay structures featuring barrel vaults with lunettes; the vaulted ceilings in the ruined part of the building have only been partially preserved; traces of 16th-century painted decorations can still be seen on some of the walls.

The church may be visited during church service. The main body and wing of the former manor house are closed to visitors.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 28-05-2015.

Bibiography

  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 2 Pogórze Izerskie, Vol. II, M. Staff (ed.), Wrocław 2003, pp. 85-86,
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, pp. 591-592.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XVI wl.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Nawojów Łużycki
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district lubański, commune Lubań
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area