The Ukraina (Ukraine) villa, currently serving as a guest house, Nałęczów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The Ukraina (Ukraine) villa, currently serving as a guest house

Nałęczów

photo

The “Ukraina” villa falls into the category of mansions designed in the so-called Italian style, erected within the area of the Nałęczów health resort in the late 19th century and in the early 20th century. Despite the passage of time, the house retains its original shape and architectural detailing.

History

The villa was erected in 1883 by Henryk Straszyński. The building is one of a number of Italianate villas erected in Nałęczów in the 19th century. The house had multiple owners, including the Cieciszowski, Rulikowski, Jełowiecki, Kissel and Ordo families. During the interwar period, the building served as a guest house and was widely known for organising balls and dancing events. In 1939, the house provided accommodation to the representatives of the English and American embassies. Following World War II, the property was taken over by the state. In 1977, the building was adapted to serve as a Post Office, with guest rooms on the first floor. In 1991, the villa was reclaimed by the heirs to the Ordo family, who sold it to Telekomunikacja Polska S.A., Poland’s state telecommunications company, in 1993. In 1994, the building was partially destroyed by fire, with reconstruction efforts commencing shortly thereafter. Today, the house is in private hands. The building is currently being restored and will once again serve as a guest house.

Description

The villa occupies the inner part of an extensive, fenced plot of land with a garden, located in the western part of Nałęczów. The front facade of the house faces the Armatnia Góra street which constitutes one of the main streets leading through the health resort and the park.

The house is an Italianate villa made of brick and stone, its walls covered with plaster. Inside, the house features fire-resistant brick infill ceilings. The wooden roof truss uses a combination of rafters and straining beams. The roof is covered with sheet metal, the individual, rhomboidal panels forming a diagonal chequerboard pattern.

The house was built on a floor plan which approximates the shape of an elongated rectangle. The western section of the main body of the building features an avant-corps and a portico facing north and south respectively. The building can be accessed through projecting vestibules in the south and the east. The interior layout has been significantly modified since the house was originally built.

The building features a complex overall shape, with a single-storey eastern section with a tall basement section extending partially above the ground, while the western part of the house is a two-storey structure. The house features tall mansard roofs with dormer windows.

The front façade rises above a tall plinth and is crowned with entablature and a roof parapet, with rusticated quoins on its corners providing the finishing touch. The two-storey western section follows a three-axial layout with a portico featuring a combination of rectangular pillars and Doric columns. Above the portico there is a terrace with a cast iron balustrade. The doors beneath the portico are topped with segmental arches and adorned with profiled surrounds. The doors leading out into the terrace above, on the other hand, are topped with semicircular arches with faux keystones, with the middle doors being framed with fluted pilasters with Corinthian capitals. The entire façade is crowned with an entablature and a parapet wall above. The middle axis of the façade is accentuated by a dormer window with a segmental pediment. The eastern part of the façade follows a six-axis layout and is a single-storey structure preceded by a vestibule which incorporates the main entrance, positioned on the western axis. The entrance door is topped with a semicircular arch and flanked by a pair of pilasters. The remaining axes are marked by an alternating arrangement of rectangular windows and blind windows, with the windows on the outermost axes being topped with semicircular arches. The roof surface is pierced by a trio of dormer windows topped with segmental arches. The remaining façades follow the overall design of the front in terms of both horizontal partitions and detailing.

The structure can be viewed from the outside all year round. At the present stage, the building is undergoing restoration.

compiled by Anna Sikora-Terlecka, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 20-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Record sheet, the “Ukraina” Villa, compiled by Studziński Jacek and Pujszo Ewa, Nałęczów 1998, Archive of the Regional Monuments Protection Office in Lublin, Archive of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw.
  • Majewski K., Nałęczów Zdrój. Catalogue of historical monuments. Kazimierz Dolny nad Wisłą 1977, Archiwum WUOZ Lublin, [no page numbering available]
  • Tarka M., Dzieje Nałęczowa, Nałęczów 1989, p. 89

General information

  • Type: villa
  • Chronology: 1883
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Armatnia Góra 10, Nałęczów
  • Location: Voivodeship lubelskie, district puławski, commune Nałęczów - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area