Marzanna villa, Nałęczów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The ‘Marzanna’ villa was- and still is - one of the most attractive, tough neglected, buildings of this type in Nałęczów. It falls into a category of villas designed in the so-called Italian style, erected within the area of a health resort in the late 19th century and the early 20th century. The original shape of the building and the basic interior layout with part of the decor have been preserved. The villa plays a very important role in the spatial layout of the town. It was inhabited by well-known painter and graphic artist Zenon Kononowicz.

History

The structure was designed by Engineer Jan Wincenty Siekluck, who was inspired by Renaissance architecture during a trip to Italy and decided around 1905 to build a villa in the Italian style within the area of Nałęczów. The building is surrounded by a park to the north and a magnificent orchard from the side of the rear facade. Since 1924, the villa has served as a guest house. From 1950 onwards it has been inhabited by painter, draftsman and graphic artist Zenon Kononowicz. After the Second World War the building has been renovated for many years and was destroyed. Since 1954 it was owned by Janina Sieczkowska. Over the years, until today, the building has been owned by the Sieczkowscy family.

Description

The villa is situated in the northern part of Nałęczów, in a raised area of land, surrounded by a garden extending between Partyzantów Street and Głębocznica Street. It was built of solid ceramic brick and limestone and partly plastered. The building features flat wooden ceilings with cane ceiling linings; the corridor is covered by a cross-barrel vault. The architrave windows, mostly double with upper vents, whereas the balcony windows had multiple panes. The door were single or double-leaf, and panelled. The roofs are covered with sheet metal. The villa was built on an irregular floor plan, with an avant-corps to the north and a tower with a staircase to the west. The interior layout is multi-section. The building features a basement, consists of several cuboid storey blocks covered with flat roofs, with a three-storey tower to the west, topped with a flattened pyramid hipped roof. The facades set atop a tall plinth which was accentuated by a socle cornice, topped with a pronounced crowning cornice, with the area beneath it decorated with sgraffito frieze with floral and figural motifs. The name ‘MARZANNA’ and an allegory of the half-year are incorporated from the front. Only fragments of architectural details in the form of window surrounds and cornices above and under the windows have been preserved. The southern facade is asymmetrical, has two axis and varies in terms of height, is without plaster, and preceded by a terrace (originally, also with a balcony). Initially, it featured spindled balustrades. Investigations of the interior revealed the remains of wooden panelling and floor tiles. The structure has not been renovated for many years and has been in the process of degradation.

No visitor access to the monument. Private property.

Compiled by Anna Sikora-Terlecka, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 23.09.2014.

 

Bibliography

  • Record sheet, Willa „MARZANNA”, prepared by Studzińskiego J., Pujszo E., Lublin 1998, Archiwum WUOZ w Lublinie.
  • Majewski K., Nałęczów Zdrój. Katalog obiektów zabytkowych, Kazimierz Dolny nad Wisłą 1977, Archiwum WUOZ Lublin, sygn. 6177.

General information

  • Type: villa
  • Chronology: początek XX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Partyzantów 8, Nałęczów
  • Location: Voivodeship lubelskie, district puławski, commune Nałęczów - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area