The Brzozy villa, Nałęczów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The villa, easily distinguished among the surrounding buildings due to its monumental outline, is one of the oldest buildings designed by Jan Koszczyc-Witkiewicz to be built in Nałęczów.

History

The edifice was designed by Jan Koszczyc-Witkiewicz. It was erected in years 1907-08 on a large plot of land with a surface area of about three morgen (ca. 1.5 hectares), located far away from other buildings and originally purchased from Michał Górski for a sum of 3930 rubles. The first owner of the villa was Wacław Łypacewicz, an attorney at law, who also served, among others, as president of the Society of the Friends of the Town of Nałęczów. The local masonic lodge was known to hold its meetings here. From about 1936 onwards, the house remained in the hands of Władysław Wolski, a veterinary doctor who purchased it from Mr Łypacewicz’s wife Julia after his death. Later on, the ownership of the villa passed on to Władysław Wolski’s daughter, Maria Wojtczak. At that point, the house was subdivided into two distinct apartments. During World War II, the villa served as a infirmary for the insurgents. After the war, the house saw several changes in ownership, who adapted it to suit their own needs, for example by blocking off internal passages and by constructing an external staircase in front of the eastern façade in order to provide access into the attic. Then came a few decades of disuse, during which the house was slowly beginning to crumble. In 1996, a comprehensive restoration finally commenced, with the general idea being to adapt the villa to serve as a spa and guest house. Restoration works are currently in progress.

Description

The villa is located to the north-east from the centre of the town. The house rises on the southern slope of a hill on Głębocznica street, which takes the form of a rather picturesque ravine. The front façade of the house faces the south. Remains of a landscape garden can still be seen around the house. The villa represents a very picturesque take on modernist architecture.

Designed on a rectangular floor plan, the house follows a two-bay layout with a slightly wider southern suite of rooms, designed to serve representational purposes, and a narrower northern suite. The main entrance is located on the northern side of the house, leading across a rectangular porch positioned asymmetrically along the western corner. A terrace with an irregular outline adjoins the house to the south-east.

The single-storey main body of the house can hardly be described as monotonous, featuring a tall, residential attic space and a basement. The tall half-hip roof features large dormer windows which project from its sides. The southern façade features a sizeable dormer with a gable roof supported by six stout columns; originally an openwork structure, the dormer has received its current glazing at a later date.

The building is made of brick and limestone, its walls covered with plaster; all roofs are clad with roof tiles.

The asymmetrical design allows the façades to break away from the usual monotony; the façades themselves are covered with plaster and feature an extensive use of brick architectural detailing. The windows come in different shapes and sizes - from simple, rectangular items to pointed-arch windows as well as windows topped with semicircular arches, with Palladian windows used for the gables of the side façades. A broad, flat brick cornice runs around the entire structure, positioned slightly below the window sills.

The southern façade follows a six-axial design, its western section being pierced by a pair of windows topped with semicircular arches, set against a highly decorative brick background forming an arched shape. The eastern part of the façade features four rectangular windows arranged in line, separated by pillars and stout engaged columns and sharing a single, broad lintel which takes the form of a plastered cornice. Above, a large dormer projects from the surface of the roof, flanked by three columns on each side, adorned with brick bands above and below the columns which are intended to imitate capitals and bases. A row of rectangular windows stretches between the columns, with a triangular gable incorporating an inscription which reads

“VILLA BRZOZY” and “1907” positioned directly above. The southern and eastern façades are preceded by a terrace which is surrounded by a stone wall.

A porch, lower than the rest of the house, adjoins the western corner of the northern façade; covered by a separate gable roof, the porch projects ahead of the façade, its lower section being clad with limestone. The upper part of the porch was originally an open structure but is now glazed, the windows positioned between stout pillars.

The interiors have changed substantially since the house was originally built, having been adapted to serve the needs of the guest house; after many years of absence, the staircase was restored to its former location, leading up into the attic.

The historic monument is inaccessible.

compiled by Anna Sikora-Terlecka, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 12-05-2015.

Bibliography

  • Heyman Ł., Co i jak zbudowano w Nałęczowie? in: Dzieje Lubelszczyzny, vol. VI, part 3, Lublin 1992, pp. 427-452
  • Record sheet, the “Brzozy” Villa, compiled by Bożena Stanek-Lebioda, Nałęczów 1994, Archive of the Regional Monuments Protection Office in Lublin, Archive of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw.
  • Leśniakowska M., "Architekt Jan Koszczyc Witkiewicz (1881-1958) i budowanie w jego czasach", Warsaw 1998, pp. 167-168
  • Majewski K., Nałęczów Zdrój. Catalogue of historical monuments. Kazimierz Dolny nad Wisłą 1977, Archive of the Regional Monuments Protection Office in Lublin, [ Nałęczów minionych lat czyli uzdrowisko na starych pocztówkach, Adam Olkowicz (ed.), Nałęczów 2003, p. 91
  • Tarka M., Dzieje Nałęczowa, Nałęczów 1989, p. 90

General information

  • Type: villa
  • Chronology: 1907 - 1908
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Głębocznica 8, Nałęczów
  • Location: Voivodeship lubelskie, district puławski, commune Nałęczów - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area