Greek Catholic tserkva of St Nicholas, currently serving as a filial church, Myców
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Greek Catholic tserkva of St Nicholas, currently serving as a filial church

Myców

photo

An example of wooden tserkva architecture that once formed a characteristic feature of the southern Lublin region. Today, this single-dome tserkva is frequently admired for its lavish decorations and fittings.

History

The Greek Catholic tserkva was erected back in 1865 (or 1859, according to other sources). In 1885, the building underwent a series of alteration works, with a two-storey vestibule being added in front of the narthex; the wall between the narthex and the nave was torn down, with the two parts of the church now being connected by means of an arched passage. The tserkva was subsequently restored in 1919; it is likely that the vestibules preceding the side entrances to the nave were added at that point. From 1945 onwards, the building was used as a workshop forming part of the local State Agricultural Holding; in 1963, the tserkva was finally abandoned, its condition deteriorating at a rapid pace. Finally, the tserkva was restored in the 1990s; today, it serves as a filial church of the Roman Catholic parish in Żniatyn.

Description

The tserkva stands upon a hill located on the northern edge of the village; this site had in fact once been its centre - right until 1944, when many buildings were lost to the blaze. The church is surrounded by a disused cemetery, with the few surviving headstones dating back to the 19th century. The chancel of the tserkva faces the west. The building is a tripartite structure consisting of a nave designed on a square floor plan, adjoined to the west by a slightly narrower, square chancel flanked by a pair of sacristies; a narthex, also designed on a square floor plan, adjoins the nave to the east and features a vestibule which was added at a later date. Overall, the structure, made up of many different sections, retains a remarkable diversity of forms, with the octagonal dome set atop a tall tholobate being its dominant visual feature. The narthex and the chancel feature gable roofs, with a three-plane roof being used for the front vestibule. The lower section of the building features a pronounced skirt roof covering the sacristies, interrupted by the gable roofs which crown the vestibules preceding the side entrances to the nave. All roofs are covered with sheet metal. The façades are covered with vertical board and batten siding, with wooden cornices present beneath the eaves of the main body and the dome. The multi-pane windows are rectangular in shape, with the tholobate and the chancel featuring a number of oculi; the church features a number of single and double doors of a planked type. Inside, a faux cupola ceiling consisting of eight distinct sections rises above the nave, which also features surviving choir galleries with wooden balustrades, remains of the iconostasis as well as a wall painting dating back to 1862, the latter being of remarkable artistic quality and comprising both figural representations, foliate motifs and architectural themes executed using the trompe l’œil technique.

Accessible structure.

compiled by Bożena Stanek-Lebioda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 07-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Górak J., Dawne cerkwie drewniane w województwie zamojskim, Zamość 1984, pp. 25-27.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Vol. VIII: Województwo lubelskie, issue 6: Powiat hrubieszowski, compiled by Chrzanowski T., Kornecki M., Samek J., Warsaw 1964, pp. 41-42.

General information

  • Type: tserkva
  • Chronology: 1865
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Myców
  • Location: Voivodeship lubelskie, district hrubieszowski, commune Dołhobyczów
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area