Parish Church of St Nicholas, Mycielin
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of St Nicholas

Mycielin

photo

The church in Mycielin is a valuable example of the group of medieval stone churches built in the rural style. The building is distinguished by numerous historic décor elements and fittings.

History

The church was erected in the last quarter of the 13th century. In 1581, a tower was added to it, and in the 17th and the 18th century, the church was extended by a sacristy, porch, and mausoleum. Also in the 18th century, most of the windows were re-designed. In 1881, the tower finial was modified. In the years 1528-1668, the church was used by Evangelicals.

Description

The church is located in the northern part of the village, at the junction of the roads to Nowe Miasteczko and Długie, on a small hill. The area around the church is fenced with a stone wall. From the north-eastern side, the church neighbours a former manor house complex. It is oriented. It is a building made of brick and stone, of single-nave type, with a rectangular presbytery, sacristy, and tomb chapel from the north, a porch from the south, and a tower from the west. Individual sections are covered with gable roofs, except for the sacristy, which is topped with a shed roof. The stone façades are not plastered and some of their fragments feature a brick finish. The tower, which is buttressed, is topped with neo-Gothic gables. Two original pointed-arch portals and slit windows in the eastern and the northern wall of the chancel have survived. The nave is topped with a wooden ceiling from the 16th century, and the chancel - with a lierne vault. Over the chapel, there is a barrel vault with lunettes; sacristy and porch are covered with barrel vaults. The original décor elements and fittings that have survived until today include Gothic painted decorations, three late-Gothic altarpieces, including the main altar - a work by the Altar Master from Gościszowice, two stone baptismal fonts from 16th century, a wooden figure of the Blessed Virgin Mary from the 15th century, a crucifix from the early 16th century, and a pulpit from the 17th century. The exceptionally numerous historical fittings of the church include also a set of Renaissance and Baroque epitaphs. On the façades of the tomb chapel, there are stone tomb slabs from the 19th century. In the wall surrounding the church, there are surviving relics of a defensive tower from appox. 1600.

The site is open to the public. It can be visited by prior telephone arrangement.

compiled by Marta Kłaczkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 03-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warszawa 2006, s. 581.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 242.
  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, Tom III, Zielona Góra 2013, s. 171-172.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 4 ćw. XIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Mycielin
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district żagański, commune Niegosławice
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area