Palace and park complex, Mostki
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Palace and park complex

Mostki

photo

The palace and park complex is a valuable monument of residential architecture from the 19th century.

History

Mostki was referred to for the first time in 1470, when Jan Lasota (Lasseth) purchased the estate from the von Laben family. In 1524, according to sources, the estate was owned by bishop Jakub von Salza, and then, in the years 1608, 1640, and 1670, members of the von Sack family were mentioned as the owners. The village was divided then into two parts and not treated as a family seat. In 1685, part of the village belonged to Kilian von Sommerfeld. His grandson, Fryderyk, sold the estate to Erazm von Schenkendorf who is recorded as the owner in documents from the turn of 1763 and 1764. Around the beginning of the 19th century, the estate was bought by Karol von Heinersdorf. His son - Karol Ferdynand von Brescius - commissioned Eduard Petzold to design a park around the new residence. In the second half of the 19th century, Ferdynand Schultz became the owner of the estate, who, after ennoblement, was given the name von Heinersdorf. During that time, and more precisely, in the years 1870-1880, the present palace came into being in the place of and older building. Probably also at that time, the park was re-designed. In approx. 1880, a stone observation tower was erected in the nearby forest park. The last heir until the time of World War II was younger son of Ferdynand, Karol von Heinersdorf. Since 1946, the palace has been used as a school. Together with the closest surroundings, it is owned by the gmina of Lubrze, and the other part of the park is property of the State Forest Administration. The post-war adaptations and renovations did not negatively influenced the original architecture of the palace and its décor. In the second half of the 20th century, a pond located in the park, near the palace, was backfilled.

Description

The palace and park complex is situated in the south-western part of the village. From the north, it neighbours the yard of a former grange from which it is separated by cast fencing with a gate. Utility buildings grouped around the yard have survived to a varied degree, the south-eastern frontage does not exist. From other sides, the palace is surrounded by a landscape park. The part of the park located in the closest vicinity of the palace was fenced at a later time. The palace is built in an eclectic style, inspired first and foremost by Classicism. The park, with an area of 14.7 ha, is of landscape type.

The palace is a brick building erected on a rectangular floor plan. The two-storey body with basements underneath, partitioned with numerous avant-corps, is topped with a low hip roof. The interior layout is three-bay with a narrow corridor on the longitudinal axis. Rooms on all floors are covered with ceilings. The façades of the palace are plastered and articulated with lavish architectural detail in the form of rustication, cornices, window casings, panels under windows, window pediments, columns, and pilasters. The front and back façades are diversified with colonnaded porches preceded by stairs. From the west, there is an arcaded portico. The interior features sumptuous and variegated stucco decoration, i.e. in the spectacular staircase, there is stuccowork on the walls depicting allegories of day and night. The original door and window woodwork has survived.

The majority of the park, with a high tree stand, resembles a triangle in shape. The park is surrounded by open meadows, partly water-logged, with freely dispersed shrubs and trees. The palace park was associated in landscape terms with the forest stretching to the west from the residence. In the forest, by the road to Przełazy, there is a stone observation tower from approx. 1880. At present, the tree stand, dominated by deciduous species (inter alia maples, limes, and oaks), is neglected, with most numerous post-war trees, and its layout remains illegible. Fragment of the fountain by the palace and of a stone monument have survived.

The site is open to the public. It can be visited by prior telephone arrangement.

compiled by Marta Kłaczkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 17-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 239.
  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, Tom I, Zielona Góra 2011, s. 173-174.
  • Drozdek M. E., Mostki, park przypałacowy, [w:] Bielinis-Kopeć B. (red.), Zabytkowe parki województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2013, s. 101-103.

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: 1870-1880
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Mostki
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district świebodziński, commune Lubrza
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area