Parish church of the Holy Spirit, Moryń
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish church of the Holy Spirit

Moryń

photo

One of the few municipal granite churches from the transitional period between Romanism and Gothic in the region, with a preserved 13th century sgrafitto decoration inside the church and on the presbytery facade, as well as original altar stone. Baroque ambo of the beginning of the 18th century - made by a famous woodcarver Bernhardt Hattenkerell, stand out in particular out of the elements of fittings.

History

The beginning of the construction of the church dates back to the time right after the middle of the 13th century. In the years 1263-1265 presbytery with transept were erected, most probably from the foundation of duke Barnim I, who vested the patronage over the temple in the monks brought down from Paris, of Victorinus Order of the rule of St. Augustine. The walls were erected by the workshop brought down most probably from Westphalia.In the first half of the 14th century the nave body was built. In 1350 the patronage over the temple was passed to the canons of the Myślibórz collegiate church. In the first half of the 14th century the nave body was built. Ca. 1540 the church was taken over by Evangelicals. During the Thirty Years’ War probably the roof and top section of the church were damaged. In the second half of the 17th century these damages were removed. At the beginning of the 18th century the structure was given Baroque fittings founded by the von Schoenebeck family, among others, a preserved ambo from the beginning of the 18th century, made by a famous woodcarver - Heinrich Bernhardt Hattenkerell. In 1756, the current, wooden top section of the tower was built. In 1945 the church was taken over by the Catolics, in 1951 - the parish in Moryń was established.

Description

The church is located in the north-eastern part of the town, between Ogrodowa street from the West and F.Chopin street from the East, within the area of the former cemetery, surrounded by a wall and overgrown by trees. Oriented, Roman-Gothic structure, on a Latin cross floorplan, with a square tower, short, three-nave, two-bay, pseudo-basilica body, not a very pronounced transept and elongated, simply closed presbytery.The porch adjoins the southern arm of the transept from the South, and it is built on the half of decagon plan. By the northern wall of the presbytery there was a rectangular sacristy, of which only the relics of side walls were preserved.The tower with an open passage from the South and North, with the last wooden storey separated by a step and crowned with a modest quadrangular dome.

There are gable roofs over the body and presbytery with a common roof ridge. The roofing of the middle nave are extended downwards over the side naves. The church is made of granite blocks, southern porch is erected of a field stone with irregular bond and of Gothic brick (of which the buttresses and details were made), the highest storey of the tower is made of wood in a framework structure and is plastered. The roofs are covered with beaver tail roof tiles, while the tower dome is covered by a sheet metal.

Facades of the nave body and presbytery have a separated plinth. There are early-Gothic pointed-arch portals under the tower in the western side of the body and in the southern wall of presbytery, right next to the transept corner. Similar portals are present in the top facades of the transept - in the southern one inside the later porch, bricked-up, just like in the northern one.The windows of the church are varied in shape. In the ground floor of the tower from the North and South there are pointed-arch passage openings, on three higher storeys there are slotted windows and small pointed-arch windows. On the wooden storey of the tower there are simply closed bell openings, and over them, under the cornice curved upwards there are round clock faces. In the side walls of the naves there are small windows of a shape resembling the square, closed with a segmental arch. On the top facades of the transept there are corners emphasised with pilaster strips. On the northern facade there is a bricked-up portal located inside the higher, pointed-arch blind window. Upwards there is an oculus framed at sides by a pair of narrow, pointed-arch early-Gothic openings. The gable is partitioned with three pointed-arch blind windows, above which there is a small blind window of a similar shape. On the southern facade over the roof of the porch an oculus is visible, analogical to the northern facade, and there are pointed-arch windows at sides. At the top of the blind window there are pointed-arch windows, arranged on two storeys - on the lower one there are five windows in the pyramid-like layout, on the upper one there are two windows and a round blind window above it. The walls of the porch are buttressed. From the South there is a bricked-up pointed-arch portal with brick, two-step reveals. Small windows are topped with a pointed arch. Preserved remains of the plaster with carved and coloured late-Gothic decoration - a type of rustication and frieze imitating ceramic decoration.

The windows of the presbytery are narrow, elongated, with strongly splayed reveals, closed with a pointed arch.On the eastern facade there is a group of three such window, of which the middle one is the highest. The eastern gable is partitioned with pointed-arch blind windows in the two-storey layout. On the southern facade of the presbytery there is a frieze under the eave with a motif of a vine, made in the technique of carving in plaster and colouring. On the northern wall there are visible relics of the sacristy walls.

The interior features a beam ceiling. Nave body is separated from presbytery with semi-circular rood arch, the windows of the transept are separated with massive pointed arches. Between the naves there are high pointed-arch arcades. In the presbytery there is a preserved original stone altar that was discovered in 1955, from the West there is a music gallery. On the walls of the presbytery there are elements of an original decoration made by carving and colouring technique - window surrounds of the bricked-up entrance into sacristy (in the northern wall) and square niche (in the southern wall), and also consecration crosses diverse in form. In the parts of the exposed stone bond there are decoratively shaped joints, consisting of several colourful belts. In the lower area of the arcade of the southern arm of the transept there is a painted, now barely legible scene, most probably from the 14th century. Preserved elements of the monumental mobile fittings: Baroque ambo with the sculptures of Evangelists - made by Heinrich Hattenkerell from ca. 1710, neo-Gothic pipe organ casing of the second half of the 19th century, candle holder in shape of a crown - from the end of the 19th century or the beginning of the 20th century.

Limited access to the historic building. The interior may be accessed upon the consent of the parish priest.

Prepared by Maciej Słomiński, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Szczecin, 19.09.2014.

Bibliography

  • Die Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Brandenburg, vol. 7, pt. 1: Der Kreis Königsberg/Neumark, Berlin 1928, pp. 195-204.
  • Dziurla H., Ołtarz granitowy z XIII wieku w Moryniu, „Materiały Zachodniopomorskie” 1956, vol. 2.
  • Świechowski Z., Architektura granitowa Pomorza Zachodniego w XIII wieku, Poznań 1950.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Moryń
  • Location: Voivodeship zachodniopomorskie, district gryfiński, commune Moryń - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area