Church of St Hedwig - Zabytek.pl
woj. dolnośląskie, pow. świdnicki, gm. Świdnica-gmina wiejska
- 1268 - first mentions of a chapel in Mokrzeszów
- 14th c. - construction of the church
- ca. 1500 — alteration works
- 19th/20th century - renovation works
- 1965 — renovation
The church is located on a small elevation in the western part of the village, near the road leading from Wrocław to Świebodzice (DK 35).
The first mentions of a local chapel date back to 1268, with the current, Gothic church being erected in the 14th century. The church was later redesigned somewhere around the year 1500. Later on, at the turn of the 20th century and in 1965, the church underwent a series of renovation works.
The church is a single-nave structure designed on a rectangular floor plan, featuring a three-bay main body with a lierne vault. The eastern and northern walls of the church are reinforced with buttresses. A rectangular chancel - also featuring a lierne vault - adjoins the nave to the east. The presbytery is adjoined by a rectangular sacristy to the north, featuring a barrel vault. South of the nave rises the tower with a square base and octagonal shaft, topped with a bulbous cupola designed in the Baroque style. The ground floor section houses a porch with a groin vault.
The front façade is crowned with a stepped gable surmounted by pinnacles, partitioned using decorative bar tracery and featuring a two-storey arrangement of interlocking blind windows with ornamental bands.
The church is covered with a gable roof clad with roof tiles. The interior fixtures and fittings include a Gothic Revival main altarpiece as well as a Gothic sculpture of the Blessed Virgin Mary with child (ca. 1430).
Right next to the church stretches the former cemetery surrounded by fragments of an old stone wall with a small gate. The current cemetery is located at the north-western extension of the old burial ground.
The church is usually closed; the interior may be viewed from inside the porch, through the grillwork.
compiled by Krzysztof Czartoryski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 05-02-2015.
- Zabytki Sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_02_BK.83752