Parish Church of St Nicholas - Zabytek.pl
woj. wielkopolskie, pow. słupecki, gm. Słupca-gmina wiejska
Inside, there are fittings dating from the 18th century and a valuable triptych from 1581-1582.
The village of Młodojewo was established in the 14th century. It was the property of the bishop of Poznań; from the 1st half of the 17th century, it was the centre of an array of bishop estates. A church in Młodojewo was mentioned for the first time in 1415. The present church was built in 1780. It was extended in the years 1878-1878 — the nave was extended to the west, a brick vestibule was added on the west side, and a sacristy was constructed. The bell tower-gate was built in the years 1870-1880. The church was renovated in 1937. In 1982, the roof was covered with sheet metal, the door woodwork was replaced, and the altar and the pipe organ were restored.
The Church of St Nicholas is situated in the south-easternmost part of the village, by a road leading to Słupca, on an irregular plot of land enclosed with a brick wall. At the north-east corner of the wall, there is a structure combining the functions of a bell tower and a gate, made of brick and covered with plaster; at the ground floor level, the entrance opening is closed with an iron grille made in 1933. The two-storeyed structure is crowned with a triangular gable with two symmetrical pinnacles. At the second storey, there are two pointed-arched openings framed by surrounds, in which two bells from the 2nd half of the 20th century are suspended. The former graveyard is enclosed with a brick and iron wall with a gate and wicket gates, constructed in 1933. The church has a wooden log structure. It has one nave (with no aisles). The church is oriented towards the east. It has a rectangular floor plan. The chancel, terminating in a semi-hexagon, is smaller than the nave. It is adjoined by a sacristy. The church also has two porches — one, made of brick, in front of the nave and the other, made of wood, by the south wall of the nave. The church has a two-ridge roof covered with sheet metal and eternit, surmounted by a quadrangular steeple. The steeple is topped with a sheet metal cupola with a lantern and a cross. The interior walls are covered with dark wood panelling. The nave and the chancel have a flat ceiling. The music gallery, enclosed with a straight-line parapet and containing a pipe organ from the mid-19th century, is supported by two posts.
Notable elements of the interior include the Late-Baroque main altar incorporating sculptures of St Michael and St Stanislaus the Bishop and two side altars from the mid-19th century adorned with paintings from 1841. The most valuable object is a Late-Renaissance triptych painted on wood, dating from 1581-1582. Its central part depicts the Crucifixion scene; the outer wing sections depict the Lamentation, Entombment, Harrowing of Hell, and Resurrection, and the inner wing sections depict the Flagellation, Crowning with Thorns, Fall under the Cross, and Christ before Pontius Pilate. The predella incorporates an image of the Veil of Veronica. The semi-circular crowning section is decorated with a painting of Christ comforting women. Other elements that deserve particular attention are: a crucifix on the rood beam, made in the 16th century, a Late-Gothic sculpture of the Pensive Christ from the early 16th century, and a sculpture of the Blessed Virgin Mary from the late 15th and early 16th century. In the porch, there is a stone stoup from the 16th century.
The church may be visited from the outside. Holy Masses: Sunday at 8.00, 10.00, and 11.30, weekdays: at 18.30 (17.00 in winter), holidays on weekdays: at 9.30 and 18.30, parish office: open before and after Holy Masses.
compiled by Beata Marzęta, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 18-11-2015.
- Brykowski R., Wielkopolskie kościoły drewniane, Poznań 2001, s. 160
- Diecezja Włocławska 2000, Włocławek 2001, s. 521-523
- Drewniane kościoły Wielkopolski, Poznań 2004, s. 318
- Jankowski A., Kościoły drewniane o zdwojonej konstrukcji ścian w Wielkopolsce, Bydgoszcz 2009, s. 247-49
- Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. V: Województwo poznańskie, z. 22: Powiat słupecki, oprac. T. Ruszczyńska, A. Sławska, Warszawa 1960, s. 14-15
- Maluśkiewicz P., Ziemia konińska. Przewodnik turystyczny, Konin 2002, s. 119
- Maluśkiewicz P., Województwo konińskie, Warszawa-Poznań, 1983, s. 237-238
- Nowak A.Cz., Słupca - Pyzdry - Zagórów oraz okolice. Przewodnik Turystyczny, Poznań 1987, s. 30-31
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.165855, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.79028