Palace, Mińsk Mazowiecki
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The palace dates back to the 18th, 19th and 20th century and is an example of a residential Classicist architecture, perhaps executed to the design by Henryk Marconi. The feature has a regional value.

History

The palace in Mińsk Mazowiecki is the most splendid monument of secular architecture in the town. According to recent studies, the initial building was erected in the 16th century by the Wolski family, owners of Sandomierz, as a defensive manor. Only in the 17th century was the feature transformed into a palace with corner extensions by the Warszycki family - subsequent owners of Mińsk. In the years 1825-1828 the palace was reconstructed to the current, Classicist form by the Jezierski family. In 1870 the palace with the land property of 2,023 ha was taken over by the Dernałowicz family. From 1867 a park was developed around the palace. The palace was privately owned until 1944. Towards the end of World War II it was partially devastated. After the liberation, it housed a military hospital and a State Agricultural Holding. In years 1956-1959 the palace was restored and adapted to school purposes. Until 1974 it housed a secondary chemical school and a crèche. In the years 1976-1987 the palace underwent complete renovation to serve as a Municipal Culture Centre, Municipal Public Library and a seat of the Association of the Friends of Mińsk Mazowiecki. It also houses a “Pałacowa” restaurant.

Description

The palace is located in the centre of the town, at Warszawska Street, surrounded by a park situated on the western side of the building. Its front faces north-east. In front of the palace there is a spacious porte-cochère. The feature is made of brick laid on limestone mortar, plastered on both sides. Set on an elongated rectangle floor plan with corner extensions on both sides. It has two and a half bays. An elegant pass-through hall runs across the entire width of the building, in the middle of it. The same place on the upper storey includes a ballroom. The building has a basement and an elaborate body, two-storeys with a mezzanine and four corner extensions with three storeys. At the front, in the middle and on the garden façade there are faux avant-corps crowned with triangular pediments. The main corpus is covered with a hip roof. Tented roofs cover the corner extensions. Avant-corps are topped with gable roofs perpendicular to the main one. Facades rest on plinths, include inter-storey cornices and are crowned with full entablature. The parterre is rusticated, window and door openings on the ground floor terminate semi-circularly, are rusticated and enclosed by profiled surrounds with a voussoir. The upper floor and the mezzanine include rectangular openings. The front façade has eleven axes, including a three-axis avant-corps and single-axis corner extensions. Entablature with a tripartite architrave, plain frieze and strongly protruding cornice; below the cornice there is a strip of cymatium. Upper storey’s openings are contoured by a profiled surround; openings of the mezzanine on the sides of avant-corps are recessed, preceded by openwork balustrades. A three-axis avant-corps; Ionic pilasters between openings, running from the base of the storey to the entablature. An avant-corps has a door with transom light on the main axis on the ground floor; plain panels are found on its sides. The upper storey includes balcony door and windows on the sides. Windows in surrounds with window sills, crowned with triangular pediments supported by acanthus corbels. The door without a surround, in a twice as wide, shallow panel. A profiled surround around the panel; above, a segmented cornice on corbels. A relatively shallow balcony with an openwork, metal balustrade. Single-axis corner extensions; a semi-circularly terminated window on the ground floor; a window on the upper floor in a surround and a triangular pediment; a window of the mezzanine recessed, with an openwork rail. Garden façade of ten-axes, including a two-axis avant-corps and single-axis corner extensions. Corner extensions arranged just like on the front façade, similarly as the wall parts between the avant-corps and corner extensions. A central avant-corps with a pair of semi-circularly terminating windows on the ground floor and a pair of doors on the upper floor; a pair of windows in the mezzanine. Two upper storeys of the mezzanine accentuated on the sides by pairs of Ionic pilasters. Entablature like on the front façade. The western gable façade and the eastern façade are analogously arranged. Four-axis, with a door on the second axis on the ground floor; windows on the upper storey arranged like on the front façade. Basements are accessible from the main staircase, vaulted, mutually communicated in a partition and suite arrangement. Walls and vaulting covered with plaster. Front entrance to the pass-through hall on the ground floor. The hall with a barrel vault on arches. Floors made of sandstone and granite slabs. A semi-circular, arcaded opening of the hall towards the staircase. A winder staircase with handrails, leading to the attic. North-eastern rooms covered with barrel vaults, south-western rooms covered with cross-barrel vaults. Rooms connected with one another in a suite and partition arrangement. Rooms in corner extensions arranged analogically. The main hall (ballroom) can be distinguished on the upper storey; it covers the room of a central partition and two south-eastern partitions; it is accessible from a staircase and connected to adjacent rooms. The room is covered with a beam-coffer ceiling. Coffers strongly recessed and profiled; rose windows on intersections of beams. Beamed ceilings or flat ceilings over the remaining rooms. All rooms include two-wing, panel doors and parquet flooring. The mezzanine has rooms covered with beamed ceilings and flat ceilings. The rooms are connected to one another.

The feature is open to visitors, during the working hours of institutions it houses.

Compiled by Katarzyna Kosior, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw, 02-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Atlas Zabytków Architektury w Polsce, H. Faryna - Paszkiewicz, M. Omilanowska, R. Pasieczny, Wydawnictwo naukowe PWN. Warszawa 2003 r.
  • J. Żabicki, Leksykon zabytków architektury Mazowsza i Podlasia, Arkady, Warszawa 2010 r.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Tom X Województwo Warszawskie, zeszyt 8 powiat mińsko - mazowiecki, Instytut Sztuki PAN, Warszawa 1968 r.
  • Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego i innych krajów Słowiańskich, Warszawa 1880 r.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury i budownictwa tzw Karta Biała, B. Perzyna, 1995 r.
  • http://minsk_mazowiecki.fotopolska.eu/Minsk_Mazowiecki/b40987,Palac_Dernalowiczow.html

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: pocz. XVII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Mińsk Mazowiecki
  • Location: Voivodeship mazowieckie, district miński, commune Mińsk Mazowiecki (gm. miejska)
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area