Manorial granary, Miasteczko Śląskie
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

One of the oldest surviving masonry granaries in the Upper Silesia region. An example of an 18th-century utility building - a typical, monumental structure whose simplified form clearly follows function. Very few buildings of this kind have survived intact in the entire region, which makes this granary all the more valuable today. Unfortunately, the recent restoration and adaptation works have been to the detriment of the authenticity of both the function and appearance of the building’s interiors; its exterior appearance has likewise been partially modified through the introduction of eaves, dormers and skylights, chimneys, a side terrace and an entrance porch. Furthermore, the stone structure of its walls is now left exposed, which had not been the case back when the granary was built.

History

The stone granary in Żyglinek was erected in 1795, forming part of the now-defunct Żyglinek grange. Just like most granaries erected during the period between the late 18th and early 19th century, this building was compact in shape, is two-storey, monumental main body covered with a half-hip roof. In the years 2009-2011, the building was subjected to a series of comprehensive conservation and renovation works, resulting in is adaptation into a hotel and restaurant.

Description

The granary is located in the former village of Żyglinek, which today forms part of the town of Miasteczko Śląskie. Situated on the site of the now-defunct manor farm and surrounded by old trees, the granary follows a front-gabled arrangement, its gable-end wall facing the nearby Wyciśliska street to the north.

It is a masonry structure made predominantly of stone, with some brick additions. Originally, its walls were covered with plaster. It has preserved its characteristic, two-storey cuboid form. Built on a rectangular floor plan, the granary is covered with a half-hip roof. In the course of the recent adaptation works, an open porch preceding the main entrance was added to the western façade; in addition, the small windows at the ground-floor level and the first-floor level have been recreated in a manner faithful to the building’s original appearance, while the half-hip roof was now graced by a row of wall dormers and several chimneys, neither of which had formed part of the original design. In addition, the interiors, originally designed as single, open spaces, how now been subdivided into smaller rooms; a new system of hallways and staircases was likewise added.

Limited access to the historical monument. The building serves as a hotel and restaurant.

compiled by Agnieszka Olczyk, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Katowice, 5-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, Vol. VI, woj. katowickie, issue 12: Powiat tarnogórski, I. Rejduch-Samkowa, J. Samek (eds.), Warsaw 1968, p. 35.

General information

  • Type: utility building
  • Chronology: 1795 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Wyciśliska 57, Miasteczko Śląskie
  • Location: Voivodeship śląskie, district tarnogórski, commune Miasteczko Śląskie
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area