Filial church of Our Lady of the Rosary - Zabytek.pl
woj. zachodniopomorskie, pow. wałecki, gm. Tuczno-obszar wiejski
The church retains its original architectural form dating back to the second half of the 18th century, the half-timbered structure of its walls as well as numerous period fixtures and fittings.
The parish in Martew was first mentioned in written sources in 1331; later on, the church became the property of the parish in Tuczno. In the mid- 16th century, the church was taken over by the Protestants; it was then reclaimed by the Catholic community after the year 1593; it is believed that the reconsecration of the church took place in 1607. During the great fire which swept across the village in 1625, the old, wooden church was lost to the blaze. Throughout the years that followed, the local residents were forced to contend themselves with a temporary chapel. The current church was erected in 1680, as evidenced by the inscription on the lintel above the southern entrance as well as by the documentation of the parish in Tuczno. The construction of the church began at the initiative of Paweł Hennig, the parish priest from Tuczno, with Stanisław Tuczyński extending his patronage over the entire effort. In the second half of the 18th century, the church was extended towards the west. It is believed that both the construction of a brick sacristy and the replacement of some of the original sill plates took place towards the end of the 19th century; in addition, a wooden bell tower was also erected alongside the church. In 2001, the church underwent restoration, with the works performed extending to the half-timbered wall structure, the roof truss and the roof cladding.
The church of Our Lady of the Rosary is situated in the middle of the village, by the crossroads, in a slight depression in the surrounding terrain. The church cemetery is surrounded by a stone wall with two small gates and a wooden bell tower dating back to the 19th century. The aisleless church is oriented towards the east and exhibits the typical features of the local timber-framed architecture; the church does not have an integrated tower. The bipartite nave was designed on a rectangular floor plan, with a semi-hexagonal eastern end section, its total dimensions being 15.3 x 6.5 metres. It is a cuboid structure covered with a gable roof, with a three-sided roof being used for the chancel. The walls of the church feature a half-timbered (timber-frame) structure with wattle-and-daub (clay) infills; the infills themselves are covered with plaster and whitewashed. The timber frame consists of two distinct sections, corresponding to the two phases of the building’s construction. The eastern section features a dense arrangement of posts, with the horizontal beams positioned at three different levels; no braces are present in this part of the structure. The western section, on the other hand, features much greater spacing between the vertical posts; there are only two layers of horizontal beams, the entire design enlivened by the presence of elongated braces. The walls of the sacristy are made of ceramic bricks and covered with plaster. The church features a wooden ceiling with exposed beams; a row of profiled diagonal braces lines each wall, while a central strut and a set of longer braces ensure the stiffness of the middle section of the structure. The roof truss is of the rafter and collar type, reinforced with diagonal beams running beneath the rafters; the timber-framed wall in the middle of the roof truss is a relic of the former gable of the 17th-century nave of the church.
The roofs are clad with ceramic beaver-tail tiles laid in a fish scale-like pattern.
The façades retain their original appearance, their aesthetic value stemming from the presence of exposed half-timbering; the façade décor does not possess any detailing indicative of a specific architectural style. The façades of the longer walls are two-axial and asymmetrical in design, while the western gable-end façade follows a single-axis layout. The church hall is closed off with a three-sided chancel to the east and with an organ gallery resting on two pillars to the west. The church features a set of 18th-century wooden planked doors of both the single and double type, adorned with wrought-iron fittings. The double windows are of the casement type, with two pairs of casements hinged at the sides, one pair opening inward, the other swinging outward - an arrangement sometimes referred to as the “Polish window”; each window is divided into smaller panes by a single mullion and horizontal muntin bars. The period fixtures and fittings of the church in Martew include a Late Gothic crucifix (second half of the 16th century), a Baroque altarpiece and pulpit from the 1st half of the 17th century (1611?) as well as 18th-century tin candelabra and a vernacular processions float.
The building can be viewed from the outside. Viewing of the interior is only possible with the consent of the parish priest.
compiled by Waldemar Witek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Szczecin, 29-04-2015.
- Bąk L., Ziemia Wałecka w dobie reformacji i kontrreformacji w XVI-XVIII w., Piła 1999.
- Die Bau-und Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Westpreussen, Hf. 4, Danzig 1887.
- Schulz, Geschichte des Deutsch-Krone Kreises, Deutsch Krone 1902.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_32_BK.113771, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_32_BK.416542