Catholic Church of the Holy Trinity, Marcinki
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Catholic Church of the Holy Trinity

Marcinki

photo

The Church of the Holy Trinity in Marcinki is an example of rural wooden ecclesiastical architecture.

History

The first church in Marcinki was mentioned in written records dating from 1535. The present church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was built in 1803. In 1830, it was decorated with wall paintings, which were renovated in 1897. During World War II, the Germans robbed the church of a chalice, a monstrance, chasubles, linen, candlesticks, and banners, among other things. The building was renovated in the years 1930 and 1975.

Description

The village of Marcinki is located 11 km to the south-west of Ostrzeszów. It has a wooden log structure. The church is oriented to the east; it has a rectangular floor plan with one nave and no aisles. Its walls, made of wood, rest on a stone and brick wall base. The short chancel, lower than the nave, adjoined by a sacristy on the north side, terminates in a flat wall. A porch adjoins the nave on the south side. On the west side, the nave is adjoined by a low tower having a post-and-beam structure, with slightly sloping walls, covered with a sheet metal pyramid hipped roof; there is a porch at the ground floor level. The two-ridge roof with broad eaves is covered with wood shingles; it is surmounted by a round, wooden steeple with a lantern and an onion-shaped cupola made of sheet metal. The church fittings include a Late-Renaissance altar, a decorative rood beam with a Baroque Crucifixion Group from the 2nd half of the 18th century, and partially preserved folk wall paintings from c. 1830. The church yard is enclosed with a modern fence; a number of trees surround the church.

The church can only be visited from the outside.

compiled by Tomasz Łuczak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 16-11-2015.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. 5, Woj. wielkopolskie, red. Ruszczyńska Teresa, Sławska Aniela, z. 17, Pow. ostrzeszowski, opr. Chrzanowski Tadeusz, Kornecki Marian, Samek jan, Warszawa 1958, s. 8.
  • Kościoły drewniane w Wielkopolsce, red. Mariusz Grzebalski, Poznań 2004, s. 153.
  • Wielkopolska. Słownik krajoznawczy, red. Łęcki Włodzimierz, Poznań 2002, s. 198.
  • http://kosciolydrewniane.pl - odsłona z listopada 2015 r.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1830 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Marcinki
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district ostrzeszowski, commune Kobyla Góra
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area