Parish church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Maniów Wielki
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Maniów Wielki

photo

The parish church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary is an example of a rural ecclesiastical building erected in several phases around the mid-14th century and during the 15th century, redesigned in years 1861 and 1868. A collection of Renaissance and Early Baroque epitaph plaques is displayed both inside the church and on its façades.

History

The first mentions of the existence of the parish in Maniów Wielki date back to 1335, with the present church being erected in two phases. The chancel was built somewhere around the mid-14th century, while the nave and the sacristy were added in the 15th century. Initially a towerless structure with a flat ceiling; in 1678, the steeple was destroyed by a lightning strike and replaced with a new one. The vaulted ceiling inside the chancel as well as the painted decorations of the interior are believed to have been added in 1715. In 1861, the church underwent a thorough restoration, resulting in the original, Gothic features becoming partially obscured. The windows were modified and their tracery removed, with the window in the eastern wall of the chancel being bricked up completely. A new window was added on the northern side of the church and the plaster finish of the walls was renovated. A number of epitaph plaques and sandstone tomb slabs from the 16th and 17th century were embedded in the walls inside and out, some of them incorporating the sculpted effigies of the deceased members of the von Schindel and von Seidlitz families. A porch and a chapel were added on the southern and northern side of the church respectively. In 1868, the tower was erected, topped with a pyramid roof. In 1935, the new painted decorations were executed by the painter Leon Richter from Lądek Zdrój. The church underwent restoration in years 1969-70.

Description

The church is located in the middle of the village and is surrounded by a cemetery circumscribed by a brick and stone wall.

The church is oriented towards the east. It is a masonry structure with plaster-covered walls. Designed on a rectangular floor plan, it is a single-nave church with a narrower, rectangular chancel adjoined by a sacristy to the north. The walls of the church are reinforced with buttresses. The western side of the main body of the church is adjoined by a quadrangular tower with a tall pyramid roof; a small porch and a chapel with a semi-hexagonal termination adjoin the southern and northern sides of the church respectively. The individual sections of the church are covered with gable roofs clad with ceramic tiles, with the sacristy and the chapel featuring a mono-pitched roof and a multi-pitched roof respectively. The façades are topped with a cornice, while the walls of the tower are framed with lesenes and cornices separating the individual storeys. The windows are topped with semicircular arches and are framed with plasterwork surrounds. A flag-shaped weathervane with the date 1678 is positioned atop the roof ridge above the nave.

The chancel features a two-bay groin vault, with pronounced plasterwork groins. The nave, on the other hand, features a flat, painted ceiling. A barrel vault and a groin vault are used for the sacristy and the chapel respectively. The nave and the chancel are separated by a semi-circular rood arch.

A number of Renaissance and Early Baroque epitaph plaques and sandstone tomb slabs from the 16th and 17th century can be admired inside the church, some of them incorporating the sculpted effigies of the deceased members of the von Schindel and von Seidlitz families.

The site is open to visitors.

compiled by Beata Sebzda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 28-04-2015.

Bibliography

  • Degen K., Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler des Landkreises Breslau, Frankfurt am Main 1965, pp. 75-80.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce. Seria Nowa, vol. IV, issue 2, Województwo wrocławskie, Sobótka, Kąty Wrocławskie i okolice, J. Pokora and M. Zlat (eds.), Warsaw 1991, pp. 57-59.
  • Pilch J., Leksykon zabytków architektury Dolnego Śląska. Warsaw 2005, p. 223.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 285.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: ok. poł. XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Maniów Wielki
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district wrocławski, commune Mietków
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area