Manor house complex, Manieczki
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Manor house complex

Manieczki

photo

Manieczki is traditionally associated with the person of General Józef Wybicki. The manor house in Manieczki, whose form and decoration bear Baroque features, is an example of a small rural residence. A chapel being an example of Baroque architecture was built near the house in 1766. It was founded by Józef Wybicki — the owner of the village.

History

After he married Estera Wierusz-Kowalska in 1780, Joseph Wybicki purchased lands in Greater Poland. He bought Manieczki and Psarskie in 1781; three years later, he also bought Boreczek and Przylepki. He built a manor house in Manieczki, which burnt down several years after his death. The present manor house was built in 1894 (on a different site) for the contemporary owners of the village, the Grodzicki family. The building was extended in the early 20th century by the Brzeski family. A porch with a terrace at the first-floor level was constructed in front of the main entrance. Moreover, an east annex was added. After 1920, a west annex was added. From 1949, Manieczki was the property of the State Agricultural Farm Holding (PGR), which in 1960 established a combined State Agricultural Farm there. The combined PGR aimed to commemorate Józef Wybicki. In 1978, the Museum of Józef Wybicki was established in the manor house, which was an initiative by the contemporary director of the PGR. It collected exhibits related to the creator of the Polish national anthem and the era in which he lived. The Greater Poland Branch of the Association of Aficionados of the Dąbrowski's Mazurka Tradition used to be located by the Museum. The museum was closed down in 2006. Currently, the manor house is private property.

A chapel founded by Wybicki was built in Manieczki in 1786. The park surrounding the manor house was established in the late 18th century. In 1965, a stone with a plaque commemorating Wybicki was placed in the park. In 1992, a bust of Wybicki, set upon a huge stone, was unveiled. It was sculpted by Grzegorz Kowalski.

Description

The manor house complex is situated on the south side of a road from Śrem to Czempiń. The manor house, facing the south, is situated in the northernmost part of the complex. The chapel, having the form of a rotunda, is located in the north-western part. The manor house, built on a rectangular floor plan, has one storey and a habitable attic under the mansard roof. The walls are made of brick and covered with plaster. The one-storeyed east annex has a flat roof. The west annex, slightly narrower than the main body of the house, is covered with the same roof, terminated semi-hexagonally on the west side. The roof dormers are flanked by volutes and topped with triangular pediments. The façades are decorated with horizontal lines in the plaster. They are topped with a profiled cornice below the eaves. The windows, rectangular and evenly spaced, are framed by architectural surrounds. The porch on the central axis of the front façade is decorated with pilasters flanking a round-arched entrance opening. Above, there is a terrace enclosed with a balustrade. The manor house in Manieczki is surrounded by a park covering an area of 43 ha, including three ponds. The park was established in the late 18th century. In its north-western part is the Baroque rotunda chapel with a dome-like roof with a lantern, erected as a token of gratitude to God for welfare in life. In the park, there are several monuments in the form of large stones. In the eastern part, there are broken columns from 1766 commemorating two Kołaczkowski brothers, who died duelling for a girl.

The park is open to the public; the palace may be visited from the outside.

compiled by Beata Marzęta, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 19-11-2015.

Bibliography

  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. V: Województwo poznańskie, z. 25: Powiat śremski, oprac. T. Ruszczyńska, A. Sławska, Warszawa 1961 s. 31
  • Libicki M., Libicki P., Dwory i pałace wiejskie w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 2003, s.152-153.
  • Strzałko M. /red./ Majątki Wielkopolskie, t. 7 Powiat Śremski, Szreniawa 2002, s. 128-130
  • 123x Wielkopolska, Poznań 1995, s. 97-99

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: 1894 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Manieczki
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district śremski, commune Brodnica
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area