Jerusalem Hospital, Malbork
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The sixteenth-century Jerusalem Hospital is a rare example of a sanitary and welfare facility in the voivodeship.

History

The hospital was built in the early 16th century; the earliest written mention of the building dates back to 1528. During the war with the Swedes, the structure was destroyed by fire and reconstructed around 1692. It served its primary function until the early 20th century, when it underwent renovation and was adapted for residential purposes. The monument survived the hostilities in 1945 without any major damage. In the 1960s, it underwent an unfortunate renovation, which resulted in substantial damage to the historical fabric and disturbance of the statics of the building. The monument which gradually fell into ruin was given a second life owing to the efforts of the Jerusalem Hospital Association, which raised funds for the reconstruction of the structure from various sources since 2003. Substantial works were carried out between 2005 and 2011. In March 2011, the Jerusalem Hospital managed by the Malbork Centre of Culture and Education was officially opened. The necessary finishing works on the interior, maintenance of the façades and ordering of the immediate surroundings took place in the following years.

Description

The structure is located in the southern part of Malbork, outside the walls of the medieval town, by the route leading to Sztum; it is surrounded by the former graveyard to the east and south and features the preserved old-growth trees. The hospital is a free-standing structure, set on the north-south axit, on the east side of the street. It is a Renaissance building with twentieth-century additions, built on the plan of an elongated rectangle (size: 24 x 11 m). The entrance is placed on the axis of both long façades, which are located adjacent to the exterior stairs to the cellars. The two-storey body has a basement underneath some of its sections. It is covered with a gable roof enclosed by decorative gables to the north and south (two storeys in the attic). The south end wall is reinforced by three massive buttresses. The building is made of brick laid in an inconsistent bond (cross bond and English bond); the basements are covered with barrel vaults. The roof rests on a wooden roof truss reinforced by an exterior support structure and is covered with Dutch tiles. The window openings of the main façades are rectangular. The gables feature a large share of window openings and blind windows terminating in segmental arches. The main entrance is surmounted by a basket arch. The front (western) façade is faced with bricks, has seven axes on the ground floor, and eight axes at the first floor level. The storeys are partitioned by a profiled cornice in the form of a sima, crowned with visibly projecting eaves with a row of diagonally positioned beams serving as supports. Window woodwork is finely partitioned and contemporary. The rear (eastern) façade was designed in a similar manner (without cornices and eaves). The side (northern) façade has two axes on the ground floor and is separated with a cornice and incorporated in the five-axial gable section on the first floor level. The edges of the gable have the form of slightly concave slopes. The gable section is characterised by six plastered pilasters running through two storeys and wide horizontal strips of plastered friezes framed by cornices at the top and the bottom. The tallest storey of the gable does not have vertical partitions, and is surmounted by a rounded jerkin head and cuboidal pinnacles. Window surrounds are plastered, supported by lintels on the first floor level, and incorporate the motif of capstones on the upper storey. The south façade without vertical partitions is plastered on the first floor level and features a triangular jerkin head as finial. The interior has a two-bay layout with an exhibition hall in the southern part of the ground floor. The layout was adapted to contemporary needs. The historical décor has not been preserved.

The monument is open to visitors. The structure is owned by the Malbork Center of Culture and Education (www.kultura.malbork.pl).

compiled by Krystyna Babnis, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Gdańsk, 26-08-2015.

Bibliography

  • Karta ewidencyjna, Malbork, Szpital Jerozolimski, opr. A. Milkiewicz 1995, Archiwum NID

General information

  • Type: public building
  • Chronology: XVI w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Armii Krajowej 89, Malbork
  • Location: Voivodeship pomorskie, district malborski, commune Malbork (gm. miejska)
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area