Parish Church of St Laurence, Mączniki
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of St Laurence

Mączniki

photo

An interesting example of regional wooden ecclesiastical architecture, the church is made of wooden logs and retains much of its original fixtures and fittings.

History

The village of Mączniki remained in the hands of the Poznań chapter between 1299 and 1796. The first mentions to the local parish date back to 1404. In 1444, the church in Mączniki is referred to in the records of the Poznań bishopric for the very first time. That church is known to have been destroyed during a fire in the early 17th century; it was later rebuilt and consecrated by the suffragan bishop Jan Baykowski on June 10, 1629.

In the year 1700, a new church was erected, founded by Hieronim Wierzbowski, the suffragan of Poznań; this church has survived ti the present day. A brick porch was added to the western part of the church in 1903. In 1727, Franciszek Libowicz, a canon from Poznań, provost of Leszno and inspector-general of the bishop of Poznań, stated that the full name of the church was “the church of the Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary and of St Lawrence the Martyr”. Every successive bishop of Poznań would become the collator of the church in Mączniki.

In 1903, the church underwent comprehensive renovation works, with a brick porch with annexes being added in the west, as evidenced by the date inscribed above the entrance to the porch. After World War II, the church in Mączniki received brick structural reinforcements and was equipped with electrical installations. At the present stage, comprehensive renovation works are underway, the aim of which is, inter alia, to preserve the structure of the walls.

Description

The parish church of St Lawrence in Mączniki is located in the centre of the village, on a hill located north of the road leading from the village of Janowo. The building is oriented towards the east; it is surrounded by a cemetery circumscribed by a fence consisting of metal spans positioned between brick posts. The walls of the church are constructed using wooden logs; the building follows a single-nave layout, with the narrower chancel featuring a semi-hexagonal termination. The roof is covered with beaver tail tiles forming a “lace” pattern which replace the original wood shingles. The attic truss roof structure features a double horizontal queen post. The wooden walls of the nave and the chancel are clad with weatherboards arranged in a vertical pattern on the outside and a horizontal pattern on the inside. The walls of the porch and the two side annexes are made of brick. The nave and the chancel feature barrel vaults with basket-handle arches, while the porch and the annexes have wooden ceilings covered with weatherboards.

The most notable fixtures include the 16th-century sandstone baptismal font designed in the Late Gothic style, the wooden triptych on the main altarpiece, created in the first half of the 17th century and incorporating 16th-century paintings, two side altarpieces designed in the Rococo and Baroque styles as well as an 18th-century crucifix and 17th-century sculptures of the Virgin Mary and St John, positioned on the rood beam in the chancel. The Baroque pulpit, on the other hand, is believed to have been made in the early 18th century.

The church can be visited from the outside. Holy Mass schedule: Sunday at 8.00 and 11.30 AM, weekdays at 6.00 PM, public holidays falling on weekdays at 6.00 PM.

compiled by Tomasz Łuczak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 13-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. V: Województwo poznańskie, z. 24: Powiat średzki, oprac. red. T. Ruszczyńska, A. Sławska, Warszawa 1964, s. 14-15.
  • Kościoły drewniane w Wielkopolsce, red. Mariusz Grzebalski, Poznań 2004, s. 154.
  • Wielkopolska. Słownik krajoznawczy, red. Łęcki Włodzimierz, Poznań 2002, s. 200.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1700 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Mączniki 19
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district średzki, commune Środa Wielkopolska - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area