Auxiliary church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Maciejowiec
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Auxiliary church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Maciejowiec

photo

A Baroque manorial chapel with original interior fixtures and fittings.

History

The building was erected in 1692 at the initiative of Filip Anton von Hayn for the Catholic residents of his manor who had no temple of their own. The chapel was consecrated in 1694. During the 18th century some interior fittings were added, while the wall paintings were restored during the 19th century.

Description

The chapel is located at the outskirts of the town, east of the centre thereof, at the top of a hill known as Zamkowa Góra (Castle Hill) reaching the height of 382 metres above sea level and forming part of the so-called Radomickie Hills. The building is designed in the Baroque style. Built on an octagonal floor plan, this brick and stone chapel is oriented towards the east and is covered with a cupola with a roof lantern on top. The façades are covered with plaster and adorned with faux rustication. The main entrance is located in the western part of the chapel, leading through a simple, profiled semi-circular portal with a keystone. The entrance is preceded by a single flight of stone steps with a decorative, wrought iron balustrade. The windows are topped with semicircular arches and adorned with stone surrounds. The interior features five side niches incorporated into the walls of the building as well as a number of smaller recesses topped with conch-like semi-domes, separated by pilasters supporting the tall entablature above. The cupola ceiling is adorned with a painting which portrays eight scenes from the Way of the Cross as well as with foliate plasterwork decorations. The wooden main altarpiece with the painting of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is also part of the original fixtures and fittings.

The building can be viewed from the outside and is used only sporadically. For more information, please contact the parish office in Wojciechów.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 04-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 2 Pogórze Izerskie, Vol. I, M. Staff (ed.), Wrocław 2003, pp. 9-11.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 548.

General information

  • Type: chapel
  • Chronology: koniec XVII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Maciejowiec
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district lwówecki, commune Lubomierz - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area