Market hall, Lwówek Śląski
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

Erected towards the end of the 15th century, the market hall was originally designed to house the market stalls for cobblers and bakers (the so-called bread and shoe stalls). The building features a combination of both Late Gothic and Renaissance components. Today, it remains a valuable relic of the life of the local burgher class.

History

The market hall, erected in 1494, was designed to replace an older, wooden structure which had stood on the same spot from the late 13th century. The building was modified on several occasions. The eastern section of the structure was torn down in 1859, with the stone detailing - the bakers’ emblem and a Crucifixion scene - being relocated to the northern porch of the local Franciscan church. The building was renovated in 1957 and in the 1990s.

Description

The building is located in the town centre, forming part of a cluster of structures situated in the middle of the market square, near the town hall. The building is made of brick and stone. It was designed in the Late Gothic style with Renaissance influences; it is a front-gabled, two-storey structure designed on an elongated rectangular floor plan and featuring a two-storey attic section which serves both residential and utility functions. It is topped with a tall gable roof. The western gable wall features a pointed-arch gate framed with a profiled portal adorned with interlocking bar tracery. Right next to it there is a rectangular door framed with an Early Renaissance portal from 1544, surmounted by volutes and a cobblers’ emblem. The window openings are rectangular in shape, framed with chamfered stone surrounds and arranged in an irregular pattern. An emblem of the bakers’ guild dating back to 1494 can be seen between the first floor windows and attic windows. The ground floor section of the interior was initially designed as a single, open space, its ceiling supported by a row of pillars.

The site can be viewed from the outside. Today, it houses both commercial and residential premises and may therefore only be explored to a limited extent, once the appropriate arrangements with the building’s users is made.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 11-05-2015.

Bibliography

  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 2 Pogórze Izerskie, Vol. I, M. Staff (ed.), Wrocław 2003, p. 466,
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 537.

General information

  • Type: public building
  • Chronology: schyłek XV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: pl. Wolności 21, Lwówek Śląski
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district lwówecki, commune Lwówek Śląski - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area