Roman Catholic filial church of St Anne, Lutynka
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Roman Catholic filial church of St Anne

Lutynka

photo

An example of a stone rural church with preserved distinctive Gothic features. Along with the wall circumscribing it and a belfry in the form of a gatehouse, it constitutes an interesting sacred complex.

History

The exact date of construction of the church is not known. Two different periods are mentioned in the literature - end of the 13th century and approx. 1500. The cemetery surrounding the church was initially fenced by a wooden fence. In the 15th century, the fence was replaced by a wall with a gate-belfry. During the Thirty Years’ War, the gate was damaged and fell into ruin. In the 19th century, it was reconstructed and its top storey was extended upwards. Probably at that time, some windows of the church were also enlarged and porches were added to it. In the Reformation period, the church was taken over by Protestants, in 1668 it was handed over to Catholics and since that time, it has belonged to the parish in Witoszyn.

Description

The church is situated on a small hill in the middle part of the village, on the western side of the road from Wymiarki to Mirostowice Górne. It is surrounded by a former graveyard. The whole complex is circumscribed by a stone wall with a gate-belfry, allowing access to the church from the east. The church is Gothic in style and oriented. The aisleless main body was erected on a rectangular floor plan with a semi-hexagonal termination from the east. The compact body of the church is covered with a multi-pitched roof. Its corners are reinforced by high buttresses. The northern wall is adjoined by a sacristy covered with an extended plane of the nave roof, and the southern wall - by a porch topped with a gable roof. The church was built of stone and bog iron; its roofs are clad in beaver tail tiles forming a “lace” pattern. The walls of the porch are plastered. In the southern façade, there is a surviving pointed-arch stepped portal made of profiled brick, framing the doors with original late-medieval fittings. The single-space interior of the church is covered with a flat wooden ceilings; the sacristy is topped with a barrel vault. The fittings include, among other things, a Mannerist main altar from approx. 1600, brought from the church in Witoszyn Dolny, with a Baroque painting depicting St Anne, as well as Baroque paintings of: Blessed Virgin Mary and saints: Joseph, John of Nepomuk, and Florian. The gatehouse-belfry is shaped as a cuboid. It was built on a rectangular floor plan. It has two storeys and is covered with a tented roof. On the axis, there is a pointed-arch driveway. The tower was made from field stone and bog iron; in its upper section, under the eaves, bricks were added at a later time. Its roof is clad in beaver tail tiles forming a “lace” pattern. The façades are not plastered. In the southern, eastern, and northern wall on the level of the fist storey, there are small rectangular window openings. From the north and the south, the gate is adjoined by a stone wall circumscribing the church yard. Two penitential crosses are set by it. On one of them, the date “1418” is engraved which refers two dwellers of Lutynka murdered by Nikel Falkenhayn.

The building is available all year round and may be visited upon prior appointment.

compiled by Anna Jackiewicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 01-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 2: Powiaty: żarski - żagański - nowosolski - wschowski, Zielona Góra 2012, s. 187.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 209.
  • Świadkowie wiary i historii. Kościoły parafii w Witoszynie, Haczkiewicz R. (red.), 2011, s. 34-38.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warszawa 2006, s531.
  • Karta ewidencyjna, Kościół filialny pw. św. Anny, oprac. S. Kowalski, 1998, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Zielonej Górze
  • Karta ewidencyjna, Wieża bramna w ogrodzeniu kościoła, oprac. S. Kowalski, 1998, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Zielonej Górze

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: k. XIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Lutynka
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district żagański, commune Wymiarki
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area