Palace - Zabytek.pl
woj. dolnośląskie, pow. lwówecki, gm. Wleń - obszar wiejski
Along with the surrounding manor farm buildings, the outbuilding, the dovecot and the remnants of the terraced Baroque garden, the palace forms a rare example of a well preserved family residence from the 17th-18th century, set against the background of a picturesque landscape.
The palace was erected in years 1653-63 by Adam von Koulhas (Kuehlhaus). Renovated and redesigned in 1728 by the von Grunfeld und Guttenstaedten noble family, the palace subsequently underwent further modernisation works in the second half of the 19th century; subsequent renovation works followed in years 1971-73, 1974-75 and 1988-91 as well as in the early 21st century. The accompanying outbuilding (the garden pavilion) was originally erected in the 18th century, while the manor farm buildings were constructed in stages during the 18th and 19th century.
The building is situated on the southern slope of the Castle Hill, below the Lenno castle complex, in the vicinity of the filial church of St Hedwig. The building is designed in the Baroque style. Designed on a rectangular floor plan, the palace is a two-storey brick and stone structure. A short wing, positioned perpendicularly, adjoins the corps the logis of the palace to the north. The individual sections of the building are covered by hip roofs with dormers, replacing the original roofs which featured a two-slope design. The palace is compact in shape and features a pseudo-avant-corps accentuated with lesenes on each side; another pseudo-avant-corps, crowned with a semi-circular tympanum incorporating the von Grunfeld and von Unruch family crests, set against the background of a low, stepped roof parapet, is positioned on the middle axis of the palace. The windows are rectangular in shape and feature eared surrounds made of stone. The main entrance, preceded by fan-like stairs, is topped with a semicircular arch and framed by an ornate portal with a keystone, flanked by diagonal pillars supporting the balcony above. The balcony itself, resting partially on corbels attached to the said pillars, features an arched, openwork sandstone balustrade as well as a pair of ornamental urns. Overlooking the gardens beyond, the northern façade features a single-span stone bridge at the first floor level, leading towards the Baroque terraced garden with a fountain. The interior follows a two-bay interior layout, with a vestibule on the middle axis and a representational staircase. Some of the ground floor rooms feature vaulted ceilings of the barrel type, with lunettes. East of the palace lies the two-storey garden pavilion, while the manor farm buildings - including a free-standing, two-storey dovecot designed on an elliptical floor plan - are located west and south of the palace.
The palace and the accompanying buildings is in private hands and may only be explored upon prior appointment.
compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 05-05-2015.
- Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 2 Pogórze Izerskie, Vol. II, M. Staff (ed.), Wrocław 2003, pp. 430-431,
- Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 547.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_02_BK.79040, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_02_BK.103164