Holy Trinity Church, Łukowice Brzeskie
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The former Evangelical church in Łukowice Brzeskie is a temple boasting Gothic and Renaissance architectural details and fragments of preserved Gothic wall painting.

History

The church in Łukowice Brzeskie was first mentioned in the records in the mid-14th century. With the advent of the Protestantism, the church was taken over by the Evangelicals and supervised by the college in Brzeg. The present church was built in 1581 thanks to the funds donated by Prince Jerzy II Brzeski. A tower was added in the 1st quarter of the 18th century. The interior was renovated in 1900.

The temple was destroyed during WW2 and remained unprotected until the 1960s. In 1974 it was rebuilt and transferred to the Roman Catholic parish in Owczary. Since then, it has served as a filial church.

Description

The church stands in the north part of the village on a rectangular plot. It is surrounded by linden trees and a 16th-century stone fence with three gates (two Renaissance gates with decorative tops and one Baroque gate) and linden trees.

The church is oriented towards the east, built of stone and brick. It is designed on a rectangular floor plan with a quadrilateral tower to the west on the church axis and with a rectangular sacristy to the north. A porch was added on the south side. The smoothly plastered church façades are articulated by stepped buttresses and pointed-arch window openings (high and narrow in the nave, while arranged in two rows in the east façade on the nave axis). The church tower is partitioned with cornices into four levels. On the axis of the lower level, there is an entrance opening topped with a full arch; over it, a wavy section of the cornice. The window openings are terminated in a semicircular shape with surrounds with a keystone. The last tower level is topped with a crowning cornice and covered with a cupola with a lantern.

The church has a double-sloped roof and the roof pane extended over the sacristy. The porch is covered with a gable roof with a ridge line perpendicular to the roof of the temple.

The chancel has a three-sided termination. At the end of the 16th century, the church got a cross-ribbed vault with the ribs running down to the lesenes.

From the original decor, the surviving elements are: the stone portal to the sacristy terminated with a clipped trefoil (1581), stone tombstone of 1635 and late Gothic polychrome in the north wall with the consecration crosses. In addition, the church has a neo-Gothic altar.

Accessible historic building. It is maintained by the parish in Owczary

Compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 12-05-2015.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. VII: Województwo opolskie, z. 1: Powiat brzeski, red. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warszawa 1961, s. 58-59.
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, t. 2: Die Landkreise des Reg. Bezirks Breslau, Breslau 1889, s. 350.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury - kościół filialny pw. św. Trójcy - poewangelicki w Łukowicach Brzeskich, oprac. Dariusz Stoces, Arch. WUOZ w Opolu, 2008.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1347
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Łukowice Brzeskie
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district brzeski, commune Skarbimierz
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area