Roman Catholic church of St Nicholas, Ludzisko
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Roman Catholic church of St Nicholas

Ludzisko

photo

A unique example of ecclesiastical architecture.

History

The church was erected in 1865. In 1905, it was redesigned in the Romanesque Revival style, while years 1930-1934 saw a series of extension works being conducted based on the design produced by the Poznań-based architect Lucjan Michałowski, leading to the church attaining a more Baroque appearance.

Description

The complex is situated in the south-eastern part of the village. It consists of the church, the surrounding churchyard as well as the brick perimeter wall. The church is located on a small hill, towering above the surrounding village landscape. Oriented towards the east, the church was built on a rectangular floor plan, its chancel featuring a semi-hexagonal end section. A large tower rises above the western façade of the building. The church is a brick structure on stone foundations, its walls covered with plaster. A basement is present underneath parts of the building. The main body of the church and its chancel are covered with a gable roof and a multi-faceted roof respectively. The tower is topped with a steeple with a roof lantern and a cupola on top. All façades of the church are topped with a crowning cornice. The walls are partitioned with pilasters. The window openings are topped with round arches and framed with flat surrounds with keystones. The western façade follows a three-axial layout. A three-storey tower is positioned on the middle axis of the façade. The main entrance portal is flanked by a pair of Doric columns supporting an entablature and a pediment incorporating the image of the Eye of Providence. The northern façade follows a seven-axial layout with a chapel, patrons’ gallery and porch. The four-axial eastern façade features a three-sided chancel, a sacristy adjoining the southern side of the chancel as well as a patrons’ gallery on its northern side. The interior of the nave features a coffered ceiling, while a groin vault is present in the chapel. The chancel arch wall features a basket-handle arch. The western part of the nave is occupied by an organ gallery, separated from the rest of the interior by two stacked arcades consisting of three arches each. The trees surrounding the church are planted regularly alongside the perimeter wall. The perimeter wall itself is positioned on stone foundations and made of brick, its surface covered with plaster. It consists of an alternating arrangement of solid and openwork sections. A series of rectangular plinths arranged in a regular pattern rises above the wall. A flight of steps leads towards the churchyard entrance. The entrance itself is flanked by a pair of plinths supporting the statues of Virgin Mary the Queen of Poland and Christ the King.

Property of the parish. The building can be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Kamila Witkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Toruń, 25-11-2014.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1865 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Ludzisko
  • Location: Voivodeship kujawsko-pomorskie, district inowrocławski, commune Janikowo - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area