Catholic Church of St Matthew the Apostle, Lubstówek
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Catholic Church of St Matthew the Apostle

Lubstówek

photo

The Church of St Matthew the Apostle in Lubstowek is a typical example of a Late-Gothic wooden church in Greater Poland. It was founded by a local noble family.

History

The village of Lubstowek was mentioned in written records for the first time in 1520. The local parish, established at the end of the 14th century and the beginning of the 15th century, was re-established in 1936. A number of previous wooden church buildings were destroyed. The present Church of St Matthew the Apostle was built in 1639, on the same site as the previous churches. It was founded by a Kalisz noblewoman, Magdalena, and Aleksander Głębocki, Archdeacon of Gniezno. A tower was added to the building in 1743. During World War II, the Germans robbed the church of liturgical vessels and books, church linen, bells, chasubles, copes, and a painting of the Holy Trinity. Moreover, they destroyed a statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Blessed Virgin Mary. The church itself, closed by the Germans, was not used from 25 August 1940 until the end of the war. The building was renovated in the 19th century and in the years 1969-1970. Moreover, full-scale renovations, supervised by conservator-restorers, were carried out in the 1980s. These efforts and the comprehensive maintenance of the church were recognised in 1992, when the Parish of St Matthew the Apostle in Lubstowek was presented with an award of the Ministry of Culture and Art.

Description

The village of Lubstowek is located 20 km to the north-east of Konin, on the southern shore of Lubstowskie Lake. The church, oriented towards the east, is located in the centre of the village. The building has a wooden log structure. It has one nave (with no aisles). The chancel, lower than the nave and terminating in a polygon, is adjoined by a sacristy. The high, one-ridge roof, with wide eaves over the chancel, is covered with wood shingles. In its central section, there is a steeple with a lantern topped with an onion-shaped cupola. A low square tower with a porch at the ground floor level adjoins the nave on the west side. It is covered with a tall hip roof with wood shingles, surmounted by a cross. The nave and the chancel are covered with a common flat ceiling. The music gallery containing a pipe organ is supported by two posts. The rood beam is adorned with sculptures and a crucifix. Another interesting element is a plaque commemorating the erection of the church, dating from 1639. The graveyard, having a number of trees, is enclosed with a stone and wooden fence with a gate and a smaller wicket gate.

The church can only be visited from the outside.

compiled by Tomasz Łuczak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 14-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Diecezja włocławska 2000, red. W. Frątczak, W. Kujawski, A. Poniński, K. Rulka, L. Urbański, Włocławek 2001, s. 534.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. 5, Woj. wielkopolskie, red. Teresa Ruszczyńska, Aniela Sławska, z. 8, Pow. kolski, opr. J. Rutkowska, Warszawa 1960, s. 20.
  • Kościoły drewniane w Wielkopolsce, red. Mariusz Grzebalski, Poznań 2004, s. 140.
  • Kościół parafialny pw. św. Mateusza w Lubstówku, Karta ewidencji zabytków architektury i budownictwa, ze zbiorów WUOZ w Poznaniu - Delegatura w Koninie
  • Piotr Maluśkiewicz, Województwo konińskie. Szkic monograficzny, Warszawa-Poznań 1983, s. 227.
  • Piotr Maluśkiewicz, Ziemia konińska. Przewodnik turystyczny, Konin 2002, s. 114.
  • Wielkopolska. Słownik krajoznawczy, red. Łęcki Włodzimierz, Poznań 2002, s. 185.
  • http://kosciolydrewniane.pl - odsłona z listopada 2015 r.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1639 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Lubstówek
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district koniński, commune Sompolno - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area