Manor house and park complex with the family cemetery of the Bardts - Zabytek.pl
Lubosz, Powstańców Wielkopolskich 31
woj. wielkopolskie, pow. międzychodzki, gm. Kwilcz
The residence is surrounded by a landscape park. Nearby, there is a family cemetery of the owners.
The history of Lubosz goes back to the 14th century. The village was mentioned in written records for the first time in 1379 as the property of Maczek of Lubosz. In the 1st half of the 15th century, Lubosz belonged to the Nałęcz family. In 1457, it became the property of the Ostroróg family. In the following centuries, it was owned consecutively by the Swinarskis, the Kalinkowskis, and the Bnińskis. Before 1881, the Bniński sold Lubosz to the Bardts, a German family, who remained the owners of the village until 1945.
The manor house, being an example of a modernist rural villa (German: Landhaus), was erected in 1915 for the contemporary owners of the village — the Bardts. Earlier, in 1895, a residential outbuilding was constructed to the south of the manor house. Both buildings are located in a landscape park, established in the mid-19th century and modified during the construction of the manor house. In the south-western part of the park lies the family cemetery of the Bardt family, containing graves from the mid-19th century and a granite cross with the date “1882”.
After 1945, the estate was taken over by the State Treasury. The manor house was renovated in 1949, 1981, 1987, and 1998. The buildings were used by a Combined State Agricultural Farm (Kombinat PGR) for many years. The palace served administrative and residential functions. In the 1990s, after the State Agricultural Farm was closed down, the manor house contained flats, a nursery school, and a feldsher facility. Currently, it is not used.
The manor house and park complex is situated in the eastern part of the village, by the west shore of Luboszek Lake. It comprises a landscape park, a modernist manor house situated in the southern part of the park, and a residential outbuilding, located to the south of the manor house. The front façade of the manor house faces the west. The main gate to the complex, leading to a small courtyard with a driveway, is located on the west side. In the north-western part of the park, there is a family cemetery of the former owners of the complex. The manor house and park complex covers an area of 13 ha. To the south of the complex, there are buildings of a former manor farm from the 19th/20th century.
The manor house has a rectangular floor plan with a prominent rectangular avant-corps on the west facade and a narrow pseudo-avant-corps with a terrace on the east side. The palace has two storeys, a basement, and an attic. Its body, fairly compact, adorned with balconies-loggias, is topped with a tall, multi-pitched mansard roof.
The manor house has brick plastered walls resting on cobblestone foundations. The roofs are covered with ceramic roof tiles. The basement rooms are covered with surbased vaults. The rooms on the higher storeys are covered with flat brick or wooden ceilings with counter ceilings.
The plastered façades of the manor house are basically devoid of decorative architectural details. Most windows are rectangular in shape. The side avant-corps of the front façade, topped with a triangular gable, contains a round-arched main entrance; above, at the first floor and attic levels — there are balconies-loggias. Below the first-floor windows of the north façade, there is a stone cartouche incorporating coats of arms of the Bardts and the Massenbachs. The south façade is symmetrical. On its central axis, there is a narrow bay window having a floor plan in the shape of a segment of a circle; above — there is a balcony-loggia. In front of the pseudo-avant-corps on the east façade, topped with a triangular gable, there is a terrace with half-landing, semi-circular stairs leading to the park. Above the terrace, there is a balcony, resting on four posts.
The interior, having an irregular layout, is notable for the central, two-storeyed hall containing stairs, an impressive fireplace, and a gallery at the first floor level.
The residential outbuilding, located to the south of the manor house, has a rectangular floor plan. The simple, two-storeyed building is covered with a half-hip roof. The walls are made of brick and partially covered with plaster. The roof is covered with ceramic roof tiles. The walls are faced with red brick at the ground floor level and covered with plaster above. The window and door openings are either rectangular or segmental-arched.
The residence is surrounded by a landscape park, which can be accessed by two gates: the main gate, located in front of the manor house, and a side gate — on the side of the manor farm. The park was shaped making use of the natural landscape — the shores of the lake and the existing trees. On the south-west side, there is a section of the original brick wall. An avenue lined with birches leads to the family cemetery of the Bardts, situated in the north-western part of the park. The oldest trees include yew trees, lime trees, oaks, and plane trees. In the early 20th century, the park’s array of trees was enriched with beeches, hornbeams, elms, and ashes.
The historic monument may be visited from the outside.
compiled by Krzysztof Jodłowski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 02-10-2015.
- Goszczyńska J., Rezydencje powiatu międzychodzkiego : stan zachowania, problemy konserwatorskie, postulaty badawcze, Wielkopolski Biuletyn Konserwatorski, t. 1, 2002, s. 88-102.
- Karta ewidencyjna zabytku, oprac. Justyna Łącka, 1990. . WieczorkowH. Wieczorkiewi
- Libicki, Libicki M., Dwory i Pałace wiejskie w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 2003, s. 197-98.
- Łęcki W., Pojezierze Międzychodzko-Sierakowskie : przewodnik, Poznań 2010, s. 162-63.
- Słownik geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego…, t. V, Warszawa 18xx, s. 447
Category: manor house
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.157310, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.105145