Palace in a palace and park complex, Lubostroń
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Palace in a palace and park complex

Lubostroń

photo

Unique on a national scale example of central residential site and exceptional classical adaptation of the Palladian architecture models. One of two - apart from the Szymon Bogumił Zug’s Rabbit House [Królikarnia] in Warsaw - preserved structures inspired by Villa Rotonda near Vicenza designed by Andrei Palladia. A rotunda hall in the palace in Lubostroń is deemed one of the most magnificent classical interiors in Poland.

History

The palace was erected in the years 1795-1800 following the order of count Fryderyk Skórzewski by an architect - Stanisław Zawadzki. Finishing works of the interiors were performed until 1806. The palace was renovated several time, among others, at the beginning of the twentieth century, and then in 1959 and 1984.

Description

Classical palace - main element of the palace and park complex in Lubostroń, situated to the South from the village and to the East from the meander of Noteć river - is located in the eastern part of the site, on the axis of the entrance alley. The two-storey structure is set on a square plan, with a basement -  with a high ground floor and lower storey (mezzanine). It is made of brick and stone, plastered, and the roofs and the dome are covered with a copper sheet metal. From the eastern (front) side there is a column portico (four columns in two rows) preceded by high stairs. On the frieze of the tympanum over the entrance there is an inscription: SIBI, AMICITIAE ET POSTERIS MDCCC. (to myself, my friends and descendants 1800), over which there are coats of arms of Fryderyk Skórzewski (Drogosław) and his wide, née Garczyńska, in relief in the tympanum. On side facades there are four-column parietal porticos with panoplies in relief in tympanums. At the finial of the dome there is a figure of an Atlas lifting the globe made of bronze by the sculptor Władysław Marcinkowski at the edge of the 19th and 20th century. The interior is planned in a cross-shaped layout. In the centre, directly under the dome on a high tholobate, there is a monumental, three-storey rotunda hall, supported by eight columns in a Corinthian style, for the execution of which, according to the tradition, the columns and bases originally intended for the unerected Temple of Divine Providence in Warsaw were used. The main decoration of the rotunda are the stucco bas-reliefs made by Michał Ceptowicz - apart from the plaques with panoplies on the tholobate and friezes with ancient motives (sacrificial procession), below, in the niches between the columns, there are four large plaques referring to the history of the region and of the Skórzewski family: Bitwa pod Płowcami (Battle of Płowce; finding of the knight Florian the Grey by Władysław Łokietek), Królowa Jadwiga przyjmująca w Inowrocławiu posłów krzyżackich z wielkim mistrzem Konradem von Jungingenem [Queen Jadwiga welcoming the visit of parliament members of the Teutonic Order with the Grand Master Konrad von Jungingen in Inowrocław] , Bitwa pod Koronowem [Battle of Koronowo], Marianna Skórzewska prezentująca Fryderykowi II plan kanału noteckiego [Marianna Skórzewska presenting the plan of the Noteć canal to Fryderyk II]. A large, brass, classical chandelier is part of the original fittings of the structure. The emblems of Poland and Lithuania were placed on the inlaid, wooden flooring. There is a hallway on the main axis, and the staircases are located in the eastern and southern corners adjacent to it. The remaining rooms on the ground floor (dining room, offices, library, “garden” room, living room) were planned in a cross-shaped layout around the rotunda, with which some of them are directly connected. There is a painting, illusionist and ornamental decoration in the rooms performed by Antoni and Franciszek Smuglewicz. The fittings of the interiors are mostly derivate. Skórzewscy were collecting the books and pieces of art in Lubostroń, which however dispersed during the Second World War.

The historic building is open to visitors. Visiting (need to buy a ticket) Monday to Friday between 7:00 and 15:00 as well as on Saturdays and Sundays between 12:00 and 17:00 (detailed information available at http://www.palac-lubostron.pl or by telephone: (52) 384 46 23).

Compiled by Adam Paczuski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Toruń, 23.07.2014.

Bibliography

  • Chmielnik H., Zabytkowy zespół pałacowo-parkowy w Lubostroniu, Żnin 1992.
  • Lorenz S., Rottermund A., Klasycyzm w Polsce, Warsaw 1984.  
  • Paczuski A., Lube sercu ustronie, „Mówią Wieki” 2002, no. 5.
  • Parucka K., Raczyńska-Mąkowska E., Katalog zabytków województwa bydgoskiego, Bydgoszcz 1997.
  • The palace and park complex in Lubostroń,
  • http://kujawsko-pomorskie.regiopedia.pl/wiki/zespol-palacowo-parkowy-w-lubostroniu.

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Lubostroń
  • Location: Voivodeship kujawsko-pomorskie, district żniński, commune Łabiszyn - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area