Town hall - Zabytek.pl
Lubomierz, pl. Wolności 1
woj. dolnośląskie, pow. lwówecki, gm. Lubomierz-miasto
A representative example of an early modern small-town public building in Silesia.
The town hall, erected in 1449, was designed to replace an older structure from the first half of the 14th century, which was destroyed by the Hussites. Having sustained damage during a fire in 1640, by 1688 the town hall has been rebuilt, although its appearance has changed, for it was now a Baroque building featuring a new architectural element in the form of arcades. Its present appearance is the result of the subsequent redesign which followed another fire, this time in 1803, with the reconstruction works themselves taking place in years 1837-39. The interiors were modernised in the late 19th and early 20th century. The most recent renovation works took place in 2010.
The building is located in the town centre, forming part of the eastern section of a cluster of buildings situated in the middle of the market square. Designed on a rectangular floor plan, it is a free-standing two-storey brick and stone structure with a converted attic. In its current form, the town hall is an example of the Classicist style. Its compact body with buttresses at the corners is covered with a half-hip roof surmounted by an octagonal steeple positioned near the southern gable and topped with a bulbous cupola with a roof lantern. The façades feature a plaster finish, their articulation based on the use of decorative framing. The lowest section of the walls, designed in the form of a plinth, is separated from the rest of the main (eastern) façade with a band-like cornice. The eastern façade also incorporates the main entrance, located at the first-floor level and accessed by means of two straight flights of steps leading alongside the façade from both sides. The entrance itself is positioned in the middle of the façade and framed with a plain sandstone portal. The windows are rectangular in shape and feature simple plasterwork surrounds. The interiors follow a two-bay layout, with come of the ground floor rooms featuring barrel vaults with lunettes. On the first floor there is a 17th-century Council Hall with a vaulted ceiling of the barrel type, with lunettes; it is adorned with period plasterwork decorations. A connecting section build at a later date, adjoining the rear façade and spanning above a small alley, connects the town hall with the neighbouring building.
The interiors may be explored during the opening hours of the Municipal Office.
compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 11-05-2015.
- Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 2 Pogórze Izerskie, Vol. I, M. Staff (ed.), Wrocław 2003, pp. 435-436.
- Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 528.
Category: town hall
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_02_BK.77774