Regional Court building, currently serving as the District Court, Lublin
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Regional Court building, currently serving as the District Court

Lublin

photo

The only public building in Lublin which features original interior décor dating back to the late 19th century.

History

In 1891, the Ministry of Justice purchased a plot of land from Celestyna Domańska with the intent to build a Regional Court building there. The designer of the building - architect Marian Jarzyński - came up with a technical design and subsequently directed the entire construction process. As a result, between 1892 and 1894, an impressive edifice came into being - an eclectic design with dominant Classicist influences manifesting themselves both in architectural detailing and in the interior décor, all at the cost of 180 000 rubles. An innovative solution in the form of a glazed ceiling was applied in order to let daylight into the main hall; in addition, a forced-air heating system and gas lighting were used for all public sections of the courthouse. After 1918, the name of the courthouse changed as it became a District Court. In 1936, the building housed a land registry, a notarial office as well as apartments for the bailiff and the court ushers. In years 1926-1929, the building was restored; after 1937 the front façade decorations have been simplified to a substantial degree, with the double pilasters as well as other pieces of architectural detailing being removed. In 2005, a comprehensive restoration and modernisation of the building began. A wide array of conservation and adaptation works was carried out in years 2011-2012. These included, among others, the modernisation of interior fixtures and fittings. The interiors were restored to their former glory while at the same time ensuring that the authenticity of original features and the continuity of their initial functions were preserved.

Description

The building is located in the Lublin City Centre, in the quarter located between the Krakowskie Przedmieście, Chopina, Lipowa, Sądowa and Hipoteczna streets. The courthouse is positioned on a fenced plot of land, slightly receded compared to the rest of the frontage.

The current appearance of the courthouse ca be described as post-Classicist, with the original, Classicist interior decorations surviving inside the building.

The building was designed on a floor plan the shape of which is similar to that of the letter “T”, its interior layout being irregular, with numerous suites of rooms present throughout the structure. The axis of symmetry of the edifice is marked by the public sections of the courthouse, designed in a grand, representational style - the vestibule, the two-storey halls, the galleries and the large courtrooms; these are adjoined by rows of smaller hearing rooms, accessible directly from the corridors or galleries and mostly arranged in an enfilade layout.

The courthouse is a three-storey building with a basement. The main body is covered with a gable roof with skylight. The front part of the building features a gable roof with a roof ridge positioned perpendicularly towards the roof of the middle avant-corps, which is likewise of the gable type.

The building is a brick structure, its walls covered with plaster; the roofs are clad with sheet metal.

The façades follow a multi-axial layout, with a tall plinth encircling the entire edifice acting as the visual foundation for the design; further up one can admire the individual storeys, separated from one another by string courses and friezes and topped with a crowning cornice. Most of the windows and doors are rectangular in shape. The front (northern) façade follows a symmetrical, three-storey, eleven-axis layout with a three-axial avant-corps in the middle and two single-axial side avant-corps at the edges. The walls of the ground floor level are adorned with decorative rustication and separated from the rest of the structure by a subtle string course. The middle avant-corps is accentuated at the third-storey level by pilasters which flank a white eagle in bas-relief, above which there is an inscription that reads “SĄD REJONOWY” (District Court), placed on a broad frieze. The entire facade is crowned with a triangular pediment. The lavishly decorated main entrance door at the ground floor level features a semicircular fanlight and is flanked by windows with semicircular upper sections which open separately to facilitate ventilation. The façades of the side avant-corps are enlivened at the ground floor level by the presence of a gateway with a metal gate (eastern avant-corps) and a false gateway opening in the western avant-corps, added to preserve the symmetry of the design. At the third storey level there are balconies flanked by pairs of pilasters, featuring stone balustrades adorned with foliate motifs. Decorative parapet walls at the top provide the finishing touch to the entire design.

Inside, the building features numerous period features such as the main hall illuminated by a large skylight above, elements of interior décor such as wood effect wall paintings as well as numerous fixtures and fittings such as the wind porch, the balustrades, decorative plasterwork, tiled stoves etc.

The building may be viewed from the outside. The interiors are accessible to a limited extent only.

compiled by Anna Sikora-Terlecka, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 24-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Record sheet, Regional Court building, currently serving as a district court, compiled by Koziejowski Wojciech, Lublin 1992, Archive of the Regional Monuments Protection Office in Lublin; Archive of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw
  • Kawałko P., Nestorowicz Z., Lublin. Przewodnik, Lublin 2012, pp. 216-217
  • Nowak B., Lublin. Przewodnik, Lublin 2000, p. 210.
  • Żywicki J., Urzędnicy: architekci, budowniczowie, inżynierowie cywilni … Ludzie architektury i budownictwa w województwie lubelskim oraz guberni lubelskiej w Królestwie Polskim w latach 1815-1915, Lublin 2010, pp. 251-252, 450.

General information

  • Type: public building
  • Chronology: 1892-1894
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Krakowskie Przedmieście 76, Lublin
  • Location: Voivodeship lubelskie, district Lublin, commune Lublin
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area