The so-called Konopniców tenement house, currently serving as a kindergarten and restaurant - Zabytek.pl
Lublin, Rynek 12
woj. lubelskie, pow. m. Lublin, gm. Lublin-gmina miejska
The tenement house was originally erected in 1512, its first owner being Andrzej Sadurka. At the time of the great fire of Lublin in 1575, the building was the property of Jan and Helena Kretek. The tenement house is believed to have been lost to the blaze, but was reconstructed during the early 1580s. One of the daughters of the building’s owners, Katarzyna, received a part of the tenement house as her dowry; when she married Sebastian Konopnica, the councillor and mayor of Lublin, he acquired her share and then decided to purchase the rest of the property. Some time later, he had the entire tenement house redesigned, with his initials (S.K.) as well as the date “1597” inscribed on one of the ceiling beams inside the tenement house serving as evidence of this. The impressive façade decorations of the three-storey tenement house were executed before 1614 - the year in which the restored building was inherited by Andrzej and Aleksander Konopnica. During the 1920s, the tenement house was purchased by Adam Krzyżanowski and his wife Stanisława, whose descendants remain its owners until this day. Somewhere around the mid-18th century, the building suffered extensive damage and was restored towards the end of the century. The third storey of the house and its decorative roof parapet were both torn down in 1804; it is in this reduced form that the tenement house appears on a drawing forming part of the picture album of Lublin by Adam Lerue (1857), where it is designated as “the Sobieski tenement house”. This erroneous name has continued to appear in tourist guides well into the 1970s. In 1939, the façade of the house was restored on the basis of the design prepared by the architect Czesław Doria - Dernałowicz. The existing roof parapet (attic) was built in 1954, based on the design by J. Gontarczyk. The sculptural decorations of the house were restored during the same period. In the course of conservation works, researchers have discovered what the original interior layout of the house was actually like. In the course of conservation and renovation works on the building’s façade performed in years 2003-2004 at the initiative of its current owners, the aesthetic and historical features of the building were restored to the fullest possible extent.
The restoration works included the recreation of the original plasterwork colour scheme, the reconstruction and adjustments to the damaged sgraffito on the third storey level as well as the renovation of the rusticated decorations on the ground floor level. In 2005, the building received the Conservation Laurel Award. Today, the tenement house is used as a kindergarten and a restaurant, the latter operating in the basement thereof.
The tenement house forms part of a tight cluster of buildings which form the eastern frontage of the Market Square.
The building’s layout follows patterns which date back to the Middle Ages, although its façade has since been redesigned in the so-called Lublin Renaissance style.
The tenement house is a brick building erected on a rectangular floor plan, with a vestibule leading across the entire house positioned on the middle axis thereof. The interior follows a tripartite, two-bay layout. The building itself is a three-storey structure with a basement, covered with a gable roof concealed behind a decorative roof parapet. The ground floor rooms feature both barrel vaults and double barrel vaults, with beamed ceilings on all upper storeys. The house has a staircase with two quarter landings on each storey.
The front façade follows a four-storey layout, with the final storey being crowned by an impressive, decorative roof parapet. The ground floor and the fourth storey follow a four-axial design, with a five-axial layout being used for the remaining storeys. The wall at the ground floor level is adorned with rustication which was added at a later date, with the entrance door being accentuated by an arched portal. The remaining storeys feature smooth, unadorned walls which are currently painted blue. The windows are grouped in clusters of 2 and 3 and framed by herm pilasters; at the first floor level, the windows are also topped with split pediments formed out of foliate scrolls, medallions with male and female portraits as well as cartouches, gargoyles, winged putto heads and rosettes. The entire façade is topped with a pronounced crowning cornice and a Polish Renaissance attic adorned with sgraffito decorations; the attic (roof parapet) consists of a plinth pierced by a row of square windows framed by profiled surrounds and flanked by fluted lesenes as well as of the decorative top section made up of volutes and pinnacles and adorned with strapwork ornamentation.
Inside, the house features original columns between the windows as well as a ceiling beam with an inscribed date and house mark incorporating the initials of the building’s former owner (“S.K.”). 1597/.
The historic monument is can be viewed from the outside all year round; the interiors serve as a kindergarten and are not accessible to visitors.
compiled by Anna Sikora-Terlecka, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 22-12-2014.
- Bortkiewicz E., Research and historical documentation. Tenement house at 12 Rynek street in Lublin, Lublin 1983, Archive of the National Heritage Board of Poland, Regional Branch in Lublin, file no. 246
- Record sheet, the so-called “Konopniców” tenement house, compiled by Jamiołkowska Jadwiga, Koziejowski Wojciech, Lublin [date not listed], Archive of the Regional Monuments Protection Office in Lublin, Archive of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw
- Kawałko P., Nestorowicz Z., Lublin. Przewodnik, Lublin 2012, pp. 119 - 120.
- Nowak B., Lublin. Przewodnik, Lublin 2000, pp. 88-89.
Category: tenement house
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_06_BK.7733