Tenement house - Zabytek.pl
Lublin, Rynek 8
woj. lubelskie, pow. m. Lublin, gm. Lublin-gmina miejska
What sets it apart from other buildings of its kind are the unique, 16th-century painted decorations which survive in the former vestibule, depicting a battle scene most likely set against the background of medieval Lublin as well as the adoration of the Virgin Mary with Child Jesus.
The tenement house was most likely built in the 15th century and subsequently redesigned somewhere around the year 1540, when it remained in the hands of the Lubomelski family. The building was most likely lost to the blaze during the great fire of Lublin (1575), although it was rebuilt shortly afterwards. The tenement house was considered to form a single whole with another tenement house at 3 Grodzka street, serving as the “front building” while the other one was referred to as the “back building”. While in the hands of Erazm Lubomelski, the tenement house received painted interior decorations during the 1570s. In the 17th century, the building’s owners were, among others, Piotr Kliszewski (a medical doctor) and Katarzyna Zaborowicz née Lubomelska, while in the 18th century it was owned by the Makarewicz family. In 1782, the tenement house was redesigned in the Classicist style. King Stanisław August himself is known to have stopped by here at one point. While in the hands of the Brenger family, the proceeds from the rental of the premises were donated to young Jewish girls to use as dowry. In years 1937-1939, the Monument Protection Commission led by Professor Józef Dutkiewicz conducted the restoration of the painted decorations. However, the project was never completed due to the onset of World War II. In the years 1967-1968, the building underwent a full-scale restoration.
Its current form and architectural décor is the result of numerous alterations. The 16th-century wall paintings in the wine cellar and the former Gothic vestibule, the Renaissance ceiling on the first floor as well as the lavish stonework decorations are the most valuable parts of its décor today.
In the course of renovation works conducted in 1996, unique 16th-century wall paintings have been found beneath the vault haunch backfill above the ground floor level in the former vestibule, depicting a battle scene most likely set against the background of medieval Lublin as well as the adoration of the Virgin Mary with Child Jesus. The wall paintings were later restored on site at the initiative of the Lublin Commune authorities in years 1998-1999, under the direction of Małgorzata Podgórska-Makal. Today, these paintings constitute the most important part of the “Fortuna Cellar” - a modern exhibition dedicated to the history of Lublin. In 2001, the building received the Conservation Laurel Award.
The tenement house is a part of a tight cluster of buildings which form the northern frontage of the Market Square.
The building’s layout follows patterns which date back to the Middle Ages, although its façade has since been redesigned in the Classicist style.
The tenement house is a brick building erected on a rectangular floor plan, with a vestibule leading across the entire house positioned on the middle axis thereof. The interior follows a tripartite, two-bay layout. The building is a three-storey structure with a basement, covered with a gable roof. The ground floor level features barrel vaults with lunettes.
The façade follows a three-storey, four-axial layout and is topped with a decorative roof parapet in the form of a balustrade. The rusticated ground floor level is separated from the rest of the façade by a profiled string course covered by a narrow skirt roof clad with roof tiles. The upper storeys likewise feature faux rusticated decorations. The entire design is completed by a frieze with a row of small oculi and a pronounced crowning cornice. The window openings are adorned with profiled surrounds. The claret colour scheme of the façade is further emphasised by the white architectural detailing.
The ground floor section also features a fragment of a portal incorporating the Lubomelski house mark and the inscription which reads “Jan Lubomelski 1540”.
The north side of the tenement house is adjoined by the western and eastern outbuildings.
The historic monument is can be viewed from the outside all year round; inside, the “Fortuna Cellar” exhibition is open daily between 11 AM and 5 PM. The part of the building occupied by the Municipal Office may be viewed during the opening hours thereof.
compiled by Anna Sikora-Terlecka, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 22-01-2015.
- Bortkiewicz E., Research and historical documentation. Tenement house at 12 Rynek street in Lublin, Lublin 1983, Archive of the National Heritage Board of Poland, Regional Branch in Lublin, file no. 246
- Gawarecki Henryk, O dawnym Lublinie, Lublin 1974, pp. 28-29
- Kawałko P., Nestorowicz Z., Lublin. Przewodnik, Lublin 2012, pp. 110 - 113.
- Nowak B., Lublin. Przewodnik, Lublin 2000, pp. 91-92 /the text contains erroneous numbering - instead of 8 Rynek st. the text should refer to 7 Rynek st., while the pictures on page 92 are those of the tenement house at 8 Rynek street/
Category: tenement house
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_06_BK.7498