The Salt House - Zabytek.pl
Lubań, Podwale 4
woj. dolnośląskie, pow. lubański, gm. Lubań (gm. miejska)
Initially conceived as a salt and grain warehouse, the building was erected in years 1537-1539 at the initiative of the town council. Following its partial destruction during a fire in 1554, the building was extended in 1698 and then partially redesigned during the 19th century, when it was adapted to serve as a prison and fire station. Today, the structure remains abandoned.
The granary is located in the western part of town, in an area between the inner and the outer defensive wall; the building adjoins the inner wall which serves as a part of its structure. Designed on a rectangular floor plan, the building is a four-storey structure with an utility attic, covered by a tall gable roof. Its walls are made of basalt blocks supplemented by brick. The ground floor section of the northern gable wall features two identical gateways topped with segmental arches. The eastern façade features a similar, single opening in the surface of the defensive wall, its reveals being slightly splayed. On the outermost axis of the western façade there is a single, rectangular door with a brick surround. The segment-headed window openings are relatively small and arranged in a regular pattern. Inside, the building features original vaulted ceilings.
The building can only be viewed from the outside.
compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 05-11-2014.
- Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 2 Pogórze Izerskie, part II, M. Staff (ed.), Wrocław 2003, p. 418, 421.
- Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, pp. 504-506.
Category: utility building
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_02_BK.81791