Evangelical church - Zabytek.pl
woj. wielkopolskie, pow. złotowski, gm. Okonek-obszar wiejski
It is a valuable testimony to the multicultural heritage of Greater Poland.
The settlement of the territories situated south of Szczecinek, in the Gwda River valley, along the boundary between Greater Poland and Pomerania, began in the early 16th century. Earlier on, during the second half of the 15th century or somewhere around the year 1490, Duke Bogusław X granted the territory around Lotyń - which was little but an empty piece of land back then - to the Herzberg family, who held it in fealty. On the lands granted to them, the Herzberg family established a number of villages, including the village of Lotyń, which became their family seat and which retained this status until 1945. The village was established in the 16th century. It is believed that the original church, funded by the Hertzberg family, was erected during the same period. In 1587, the members of the von Vangerow family from the nearby town of Węgorzewo were listed as the patrons of the church. The existing church was erected somewhere around 1734, funded by Kacper von Hertzberg; the Baroque altarpiece with an integrated pulpit originates from the same period. In 1911, the church underwent comprehensive restoration. During the interwar period, Jost von Hertzberg executed four stained glass windows for the church. After 1945, the building was taken over by the Catholic Church. It was consecrated on September 9, 1945. The parish was established on June 25, 1968. Around the year 1985, the roof cladding was replaced, with the interior also undergoing renovation works.
The church is located in the centre of the village, on the north side of the local road leading to Węgorzewo (known as Pocztowa street). The church is surrounded by a graveyard surrounded with a new metal fence standing upon a concrete foundation. The graves of the members of the Hertzberg family and a monument which commemorates the family itself, surrounded with a metal fence, can still be admired in the cemetery. A mound with a monument commemorating the soldiers killed during World War I was once located south of the church; today, the mound serves as a flower-bed. The aisleless, single-nave church has a rectangular floor plan, with a rectangular chancel on the east side. In the west, a narrower, rectangular tower with a porch on the ground floor level abuts the church, flanked by two rectangular annexes in the south and the north. A small, rectangular staircase abuts the nave to the north, while a narrow, rectangular sacristy preceded by a square porch adjoins the church to the south, on the eastern side thereof. The nave and the significantly lower sacristy share a single gable roof. The extended part of the roof also covers the northern staircase annex. The whole building is dominated by a tapering tower topped with a slender, octagonal spire. The annexes flanking the tower are much lower than the building itself and feature shed roofs.
The church is a wooden structure resting on plastered brick foundations. It is based on a timber frame with brick infills covered with plaster on the outside. The walls of the vestibule leading towards the sacristy as well as of the staircase annex in the north are clad with vertically positioned weatherboards; an identical treatment was also applied for the gables of the nave and the sacristy. The tower is a post-and-beam structure set upon brick foundations; the upper section of its walls is clad with weatherboards. The roofs of the church - including the tower - are clad with copper sheets. Inside, there is a wooden beamed ceiling with a false ceiling underneath.
On the outside, the visual composition of the walls is based upon the contrasting effect of the timber frame and the white, plastered brick infills. Both the windows and the entrances - the main entrance leading to the porch beneath the tower as well as the former eastern entrance which has subsequently been bricked up - are rectangular or square in shape.
The interior features a beamed ceiling with a false ceiling positioned underneath, the latter featuring rounded corners designed to imitate a barrel vault. The ceiling is adorned with painted decorations (flower vases and acanthus scrolls, with figural motifs added after 1945). Galleries resting upon wooden posts run alongside the walls of the church; there used to be another gallery in the east, but it was dismantled after 1945. The gallery balustrades are adorned with decorative panels in a variety of shapes, embellished further by painted motifs depicting rosettes and acanthus scrolls.
The surviving period fixtures and fittings include, among others, a Baroque altarpiece from 1733, which originally incorporated a pulpit; the altarpiece is framed with Tuscan pillars and decorative side sections adorned with acanthus motifs, with a new painting of the Virgin Mary positioned in the central section. The reredos is topped with a massive crown set against the background of a drapery behind the altarpiece as well as by sculptures of angels supporting the coats of arms of the House of Hertzberg. There are four surviving stained glass windows in the east, executed by Jost von Hertzberg during the interwar period and portraying various scenes from the life of Jesus Christ. A stone headstone with the coat of arms of Friedrich Wilhelm von Hertzberg, who died in 1835, is positioned alongside the eastern wall of the church.
The church is accessible to visitors. More information as well as the Holy Mass schedule is available at the website of the Koszalin-Kołobrzeg Diocese (www.koszalin.opoka.org.pl).
compiled by Krzysztof Jodłowski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 17-11-2014.
- Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, koncepcja, teksty i wybór fotografii P. Maluśkiewicz, Poznań 2004, s. 139.
- Kohte J., Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmaeler der Regierungbezirks Koeslin, Bd. III, Stettin 1934, s. 82n.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.172372, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.139207