Parish Church of St Anne, Liszkowo
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of St Anne

Liszkowo

photo

The parish church, located in the Western Kuyavia region, is an example of a well-preserved, free-standing wooden Baroque church from the early 18th century.

History

The parish in Liszkowo was first mentioned in written sources dating back to 1325, with the first local church - the church of St Gotthard - being erected in the 13th century, with the funds most likely being provided by the Benedictine monks from Mogilno. Towards the end of the 13th century, Liszkowo remained the property of count palatine Mateusz, while in 1403 it was owned by a man named Jasiek. During the years that followed, in the 15th century, the owners of the village were a man known as Kunat, followed by treasurer Stefan. In the first half of 16th century, the alderman (starosta) of Dybów, Piotr Zagajewski donated substantial amounts of money for the upkeep of the church. In 1578, the church was temporarily taken over by the Protestant community. In the late 16th/early 17th century, the bishop of the Kuyavia region revived the Catholic parish in Liszkowo. The existing church of St Anne was erected on the site of its predecessor, in the year 1713, its interior fixtures and fittings - designed in the Rococo and Baroque styles - being added in the years that followed. The church underwent restoration on a number of occasions, including in the second half of the 19th century (when the sacristy and the southern porch were added) as well as in 1956 and in years 1956-1958 and 1993-1994.

Description

The free-standing church, oriented towards the east, is situated in the southern part of the village of Liszkowo, on a small hill. A morgue and a post-and-beam bell tower are located in the immediate vicinity of the church, on the southern side thereof. The rectory, on the other hand, is located north-west of the church.

Lying in the shade of old trees, the fenced churchyard is accessible by means of an eastern entrance, positioned alongside the local road leading from Złotniki Kujawskie to Gniewkowo.

The church, designed on an elongated rectangular floor plan, is compact in shape and consists of a large nave and a smaller chancel with a semi-hexagonal end section. It was designed as a log structure reinforced with vertical supports, while the tower was constructed using the post-and-beam technique. The body of the church is adjoined by timber-framed annexes with brick infills. The entire structure rests on brick as well as brick and stone foundations.

The church is a single-nave, three-bay structure, its side chapels forming a pseudo-transept layout.

The entire structure is covered with gable roofs clad with ceramic tiles. The western side of the nave is accentuated by the cuboid tower, crowned with a pyramid hipped roof surmounted by a spire, its surface clad with galvanised steel sheeting. The smaller, cuboid chapels covered with gable roofs adjoin the southern and northern walls of the eastern section of the nave. A small, cuboid sacristy, designed as a half-timbered structure with brick infills and covered with a mono-pitched roof is positioned on the north-eastern side of the chancel. A small side porch, erected using an identical technique, adjoins the southern side of the nave. The façades are punctuated with rectangular windows topped with segmental arches.

The western (front) façade follows a single-axial layout, with the main entrance positioned beneath the tower. The distinctive feature of the front façade is its slightly tapering outline, with a vertical-sided tower integrated with the nave structure and rising above the roof ridge thereof. The entire façade is covered with vertical weatherboards.

The southern façade follows a six-axial layout and is clad with an identical arrangement of weatherboards, reinforced by vertical supports positioned between the windows of the main body. The side chapel features a low gable, its gable roof merging with the eastern slope of the main roof of the nave, right next to the chancel. A small, half-timbered porch with a side entrance is positioned on the second westernmost axis, its gable roof rising above the small, brick-faced gablet. The western section of the church ends with the imposing, windowless tower.

The eastern façade follows a single-axial layout, with a completely windowless chancel. A single-axial, single-storey half-timbered sacristy covered with a mono-pitched roof can be seen on the northern side, inside the corner formed by the chancel and the eastern chapel wall.

The northern façade follows a three-axial layout and is similar to the southern façade, with the exception of the half-timbered sacristy, featuring a small porch projecting towards the north. The walls are clad with weatherboards and reinforced with vertical supports in a manner identical to that of the southern façade.

The interior is accessible through the main entrance positioned in the front façade, leading into the vestibule positioned beneath the tower and further into the nave. From the southern porch, one may access the staircase leading into the organ gallery above.

The interior of the nave is wider than that of the chancel and features a flat ceiling; both the structural framework and individual sections of the log walls are clearly visible, as are the crossbeams supporting the ceiling. The sacristy features a beamed ceiling.

A wooden organ gallery supported by a pair of wooden columns occupies the western section of the church, rising above the main entrance. A Classicist pipe organ casing graces the middle section of the gallery. The chapels open towards the nave, creating a transept-like layout. The passage leading into the side porch and outside the church is located in the middle bay of the nave, in its southern wall.

The chancel is a two-bay structure with a semi-hexagonal termination, separated from the nave by a rood beam surmounted by an ensemble of sculptures forming a Crucifixion scene; the passage to the sacristy is located in the northern wall.

The monument is open to visitors. Viewing of the church is only possible by prior telephone appointment.

compiled by Krzysztof Bartowski, Historical Monument and National Heritage Documentation and Popularisation Department of the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Cultural Centre in Bydgoszcz, 10-12-2014 - 19-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Record sheet, Kościół parafialny pw. Św. Anny, Liszkowo, prepared by Winter P., 1994, Archive of the Regional Office for the Protection of Historical Monuments in Bydgoszcz; Archive of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw.
  • Słownik geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego i innych krajów słowiańskich, vol. V, Warsaw 1884, pp. 324-325.
  • Kozierowski S., Szematyzm historyczny ustrojów parafialnych dzisiejszej archidiecezji gnieźnieńskiej, Poznań 1934, p. 107.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, vol. XI: Dawne województwo bydgoskie, issue 8: Powiat inowrocławski, Warsaw 1979, pp. 37 - 38.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1713 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Liszkowo
  • Location: Voivodeship kujawsko-pomorskie, district inowrocławski, commune Rojewo
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area